• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Charger battery hold down bracket fender bolt: how to bolt on fender?

74ChargerSE440

Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
I have a battery hold down bracket as pictured, but miss a fender hole to bolt the fender bolt in? The hole in the fender is square, so I might have the wrong bracket then? Probably I need a U bolt?

A photo of the correct bracket and set up is very appreciated.

1684178629444.png

You need the battery tray which bolts onto the fender and then the hold downs go into the tray itself.
_72-74_BATTERY_TRAY_PACKAGE_2000__65988.1613930554.jpg

The square hole originally had a weld nut in place. If the 5/16 weld nut is dislodged, it will leave a square hole in that location.
battery holddown.jpg

battery hold down.jpg

Last edited:
You need the battery tray which bolts onto the fender and then the hold downs go into the tray itself.
Thanks for your message, but I am referring the red circled bolt and hole in the braked so it can be bolted onto the fender? Not?

1684272112623.png

Yeap… along wity the inner J bolt attached also to an inner fender provision, the 71/73 is the one ilustratted with the built in bracket extension to be bolted to the top of inner fender.

74s however should get a separated bracket for that same function. Earlier assemblies works the same on 74s thought.

sorry, I don’t think I have a pic to ilustrate this at this moment, but pretty sure sooner or later will get a pic to show you

Got a pic…

63053CA7-F601-4C6E-AE93-7F2B9547052D.png

its a separated bracket, which allows to keep the inner fender bolt in place while removing the hold down bracket. So don’t need to remove the bolt along with the two J studs nuts to get free the battery, just the J studs nuts

Got a pic…

View attachment 1466801
its a separated bracket, which allows to keep the inner fender bolt in place while removing the hold down bracket. So don’t need to remove the bolt along with the two J studs nuts to get free the battery, just the J studs nuts
Ok! So just a small bracket. I assume the bolt bolts into the fender with a U-nut, because the hole in the fender is square?

So, I have the wrong battery hold down bracket then.
The only difference will be the ”wing“ extension for the fender provision. i got the same replacement hold down kit for my 74 untill I found the correct divorced bracket, then cut that wing and done.

The divorced bracket is not available as repro, but actually could be somehow “home made”.

Auto Transport Service
Back