• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Charger Roof Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
roof

CKJ

Do you need just a skin or do you need structural part of the roof too!!
I have a 73 2-dr Sat for parts with a very usable roof.

Upon further inspection it may be wise for me to just cut the roof maybe at the pillar and at the rear upper quarter...its a shame, from the center of the roof back is mint, its just the front portion of the roof and a small amount of the corner of the pillar...The structure itself under the roof looks fine. Maybe I'll take some better pics to show what exactly I'm working with, this roof will be one of the more challenging things that I've ever done as far as bodywork goes!

I was told it wasn't wise to just cut the roof in half and try to weld across the middle of the roof because of waves created from the heat, so a whole roof replacement was the easiest option?

Roof

CKJ

If the main structure is fine just replace the skin at the factory
joints.Spliceing across the roof would not be a good idea for the reasons you stated. I have pics of the car but it has a factory vinyl top I should
inspect it a little closer to make sure it would be useable.Rust under the
vinyl top.

Okay, I appreciate it! There's a '73 about an hour from my house for sale, vinyl top...I'm scared to look at it for fear that the roof met the same fate as mine!

Here is the full extent of my troubles...

IMAG0978.jpg
IMAG0979.jpg
IMAG0980.jpg
IMAG0981.jpg
IMAG0982.jpg
IMAG0983.jpg
IMAG0984.jpg

Man, those vinyl roofs are torture on the metal! Especially when they put padded vinyl roofs in these cars in the mid to late 70s. If you can take it apart the way it was put together then you are on your game, if you get a donor from a junkyard it will likely be the A and B (or C) Pillar cut off at so to speak, that roof you will have to take apart also like it was put together. The skin is a very big, heavy, bulky, and think piece on its own, remember that when handling it, good luck.

Roof

CKJ

I checked the car I have and the roof is all good except the
first inch above the top windshield moulding is rusted through.
I was not sure, just not good enough. Sorry I took so long to get
back to you, I checked this evening.

Okay, got another question. I found a guy that has a 1974 Charger roof...BUT it's an SE...are the roof skins still the same as a regular Charger?

Thanks!

I have a whole car in Alabama.I will take a good look at the roof in interested?

I'm pretty sure the skins are the same on SE and regular Chargers.
In fact, they may even be the same between Dodge and Plymouth 2 door B bodies, as the leaded seam is almost parallel with the top of the rear window.

wait...my SE has no drip rail over the rear window, so no, maybe different, but then perhaps the drip rail is a seperate part.

Roof

All 71-74 B body roofs are the same wheather it is a Dodge or plymouth, SE or not but the rain gutter and post welded in for the qtr window panel on a 73-74 Charger SE is different but could be removed from the existing roof and placed on the new one if needed. The seam of the 71-74 B Body runs from the top of the Qtr window straight back to the rear window and you can see in the pictures where the front seam is.

I have nice Southwestern roofs for 400.00ea. Will be taking some to Carlise and the Nats next summer. Can ship but is costly.

All 71-74 B body roofs are the same wheather it is a Dodge or plymouth, SE or not but the rain gutter and post welded in for the qtr window panel on a 73-74 Charger SE is different but could be removed from the existing roof and placed on the new one if needed. The seam of the 71-74 B Body runs from the top of the Qtr window straight back to the rear window and you can see in the pictures where the front seam is.

If that is right then I have a couple of 73-74 Road Runners. Cheap if you want to come down and cut it..$175!

Hi I am very interested in a 73/74 charger roof skin. Do you have any more for sale??
Thanks
Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back