• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Roadrunner GTX 440 Value

a-nob

Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
Hello. I’m new to the site and was hoping to get some feedback or put in contact with someone who would know the value of my Roadrunner, as I would like to sell it. It’s numbers matching and in good condition. I’ve seen all kinds of values thrown around and am not sure what to believe at this point. Any information from someone who knows the value of this type of car would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

3EADE973-DA13-4509-BC29-1FCEB84358D8.jpeg

B6FACBFE-902D-4E94-AEA5-31F5328F2824.jpeg

A0D0A1D7-60D5-40D1-A4D9-278D21944060.jpeg

E56176B4-858E-4805-B342-1CEBCC1826D5.jpeg

37A6F361-BE02-4AE8-ABB2-9EBB811074AF.jpeg

88DD2FF7-6319-44C1-BEB8-3D37B583E020.jpeg

The VIN is RM21U4 ?

If you could pull 30 I think you'd be doing good. Any more is gravy.

Call the folks at The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer and see if they will auction it for you. You can discuss a reserve amount for the auction when you call. They can recommend a reserve amount

The serious buyers with money and looking for a car will bid on bring a trailer.

Don't waste your time advertising on Facebook, eBay, or Craigslist.

Thanks for your reply. I’ll definitely give them a call. The underside is in great shape too.

The 73-74 cars are a harder to value and sell than earlier cars. Bonus here is that the 74 GTX is very low production... (79 units comes to mind, but don't quote me). The car looks very presentable and it would be a bonus if you could show it had the original engine. Another bonus if that is original interior pattern. Down sides are probably the color and and that it is column shift.... though there people who like those options too.

This is the kind of car where finding a specific buyer is the key to maximizing value. Earlier cars have a big audience. These do not (in comparison).... yet there are people who would love this car. Assuming the fender tag matches everything on the car, I would put original valve covers on it and shoot for $35k as previously stated. Cast a wide net and be patient.

I would not count eBay out. I have had success listing cars there and then selling after auction end due to the advertising. Set a high reserve and see what it generates in interest. Good luck!

Very helpful! Thank
The 73-74 cars are a harder to value and sell than earlier cars. Bonus here is that the 74 GTX is very low production... (79 units comes to mind, but don't quote me). The car looks very presentable and it would be a bonus if you could show it had the original engine. Another bonus if that is original interior pattern. Down sides are probably the color and and that it is column shift.... though there people who like those options too.

This is the kind of car where finding a specific buyer is the key to maximizing value. Earlier cars have a big audience. These do not (in comparison).... yet there are people who would love this car. Assuming the fender tag matches everything on the car, I would put original valve covers on it and shoot for $35k as previously stated. Cast a wide net and be patient.

I would not count eBay out. I have had success listing cars there and then selling after auction end due to the advertising. Set a high reserve and see what it generates in interest. Good luck!
Very helpful information. I really appreciate the comprehensive response. These responses definitely give me a better idea about how to approach things. Thanks again.

I've heard the 79 number before, but that was for cars with sunroofs.

I think the 74 RR/GTX production was closer to 300-500.

Here's a starting point-

1974 PLYMOUTH ROAD RUNNER 318-150hp (8cyl-2V) AT
#4#3#2#1
2dr Htp12725219502940043200

Add:
360-170hp (8cyl-2V)NC
400-185hp (8cyl-2V)10%
400-250hp (8cyl-4V)25%
440-275hp (8cyl-4V)35%
4spd manual trans5%
Power windows3%
Sunroof-power15%
Deduct:
3spd manual transmission-10%
No air conditioning-10%
Manual steering-5%
Bench seat-5%
Column shift-5%

Note you couldn't get a 400 2 barrel in an RR.

That's one of the quirks of this site (formerly Old Cars Price Guide), but in general I find the values pretty darn close to what I see actual cars sold for.
It looks like they have adjusted upwards for recent general price trends.

12.7K seems a little high to me for a #4 car, though.

I've heard the 79 number before, but that was for cars with sunroofs.

I think the 74 RR/GTX production was closer to 300-500.

79 was from The Chrysler Red Book I believe. Of course it would not be the first time printed numbers were wrong, but this does seem believable comparable to Rallye Charger 440 production numbers (208 or 213?) when you consider overall Charger production was higher than RR in 1974.

At any rate, the low production number for this car (whatever it is) is a good selling point. Man I'd love to have this car in my garage, but that would require another garage first!

79 was from The Chrysler Red Book I believe. Of course it would not be the first time printed numbers were wrong, but this does seem believable comparable to Rallye Charger 440 production numbers (208 or 213?) when you consider overall Charger production was higher than RR in 1974.

At any rate, the low production number for this car (whatever it is) is a good selling point. Man I'd love to have this car in my garage, but that would require another garage first!

Thanks again for the feedback. Really appreciate the help.

Thanks for your reply. I’ll definitely give them a call. The underside is in great shape too.
Don’t use Gateway Classic, they will hold your car Hostage for six months and if you sell it on your own it will cost you a minimum of 2500 bucks to get it back…

Auto Transport Service
Back