• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Roadrunner new relay, horn not working

flamesoldier

Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
Just bought a new relay thinking that is why my horn isnt working because the old relay was clicking. The new relay was installed and its clicking which sounds like its doing what it’s supposed to but no sound from horn. I tested the horn and it works so what gives? Any ideas??

Just bought a new relay thinking that is why my horn isnt working because the old relay was clicking. The new relay was installed and its clicking which sounds like its doing what it’s supposed to but no sound from horn. I tested the horn and it works so what gives? Any ideas??
1675217589783.png

I was thinking the horns are not grounded….but you did say you tested them. Did you bench test them or on the car?

Meep Meep horn or regular car horn? First, get a test light and put in place of the horn to verify power to the horn. If power = yes, and if the "Meep Meep" horn there's an adjustment screw with a funny head on the body of the horn. Sometimes, theses horns need some TLC. Remove the horn from the vehicle, get 12V power supply and adjust as necessary. Will probably take a couple of attempts to get the "Meep" right. Small vise grips to adjust (not the ideal tool as it rounds over the head). If the horn is okay you should be able to restore the tone.
Read his first post. The horn works when bench tested.

His first post says he tested it and it works. Nothing about bench testing it.
I would assume when he claims to of tested it he applied power and a ground. Bench=Test or Test=Bench.

Fuzzy math……..you can easily apply power while the horn is on the car. Sorry man , I’m not understanding your logic here.

Fuzzy math……..you can easily apply power while the horn is on the car. Sorry man , I’m not understanding your logic here.
Point is any way you test a component apart from the designed operating system would be considered a bench test.

myself , I would never assume it was bench tested by the OP’s statement… “I tested the horn and it and works so what gives”
That’s MY point.

myself , I would never assume it was bench tested by the OP’s statement… “I tested the horn and it and works so what gives”
That’s MY point.
That means the horn is capable of working. It does not work with the car. So that means he as some how verified the horn can work. Thats my point. If you need more information I suggest asking the poster.

That means the horn is capable of working. It does not work with the car. So that means he as some how verified the horn can work. Thats my point. If you need more information I suggest asking the poster.
Now you’re talkin. The key word is “somehow” (verified)

Same issue with my '69 Roadrunner. "Meep Meep" Horn WILL sound if "Jumpered" while Mounted. No Click at relay. No LIGHT at green wires when steering wheel button depressed. New steering wheel switch. Read the schematic a 1,000 times. I'll try that Flow Chart!

Auto Transport Service
Back