• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1977 Fury Sport Coupe questions

Daly

Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Recently a 77 Fury sport came up for sale near me and before I go look at it I was hoping for some insight. The car appears to be in good shape, but any areas I should look at concerning rust (ontario car)?
It has a 400 in it, I can't say if it's original or not, but where would be a good spot to see if the car is an original 400 car?
What transmission and rear axle would this car potentially have (727, 904, 999, 8.25, 9.25)?
Any info would help.
Thanks.
This is the car in question, if I can get to it before it sells.
Screenshot_20220124-120207_Kijiji.jpg

What are the first 5 VIN digits.

IIRC N and P were still valid 400-4 VIN digits and M was still a 400-2.

BB can only be a 727 trans.

Likely a 9.25 if BB and 8.25 if SB, but I've seen 8.25 with 2 barrel BB.

Is that a 1/2 front vinyl top?

I can't say I've ever seen that on the 75-79 body.

I don't have the VIN at this point. Which digit refers to the engine?

As for the top, I can't tell is it's vinyl or a matte paint. I'm hoping it's still available to look at later this week when I have time.

Last edited:
I remember working on those when they were new.

That car is sweet! Looks like it has a lot of potential for a super build.

That car is sweet! Looks like it has a lot of potential for a super build.
I hope it's not a build. I'm just looking for another old car to cruise with while I do some work to my Shoebox. Which has gone from a simple rewire/12V upgrade to needing floor work, a clutch, some engine work, lowering kit, exhaust, and other small things that have added up to it now being a small project car.
I really want this to just be a clean driver.

Salt was a normal de icer back in the day in Ontario. Hopefully its structurally sound under neath. Id be getting alot of current pictures if they have those.

Last edited:
I had a 76 Gran Fury at one time. It was a 400 car. Not as nice as this one. Mine was a gunmetal gray battleship. This one looks typical to me of those era ones. Likely bone stock. Good luck with the purchase.

I use to have a '76 Fury Sport. It was a Chicago car and the rear quarters behind the wheel rusted out as well as into the trunk. That seems to be the most common area that the rust on these cars starts at (a friend had a Fury Salon and it had cancer in the same areas).

We had a new 78 Fury Sport. That vinyl roof was called a canopy roof, same as the one in the post. 318 lean burn. Dog for performance and mileage, lock in torque converter. When warranty was over and things started to fail, we got rid of the lock out trans, and lean burn. Better performance and mileage.
As mentioned, got rusty rear quarters, buyer didn’t reallocate believe in washing it. Was still running well at 170,000 miles.

The plymouths are very low production,,, and if it has the 9 1/4 then it likely has the non lock up 727. Then it runs around 2600 at 70. That is a HD Transmission. otherwise, if a two barrel then more likely you should see an 8 1/4.get rid of that lean burn. I Installed a 69 383 Intake and two barrel, as well as the orange box electronic Ignition, and my 78 Magnum ran like a million bucks.

I forgot to mention that I converted my Magnum in 1987, I lived in Houston at the time, and they tested emissions. That car passed with 1968 carburation and Ignition! no lean burn,,,,,

I know its a Cordoba, but my 77 has a 400-4 and came with an 8 1/4 rear. It was a open rear with 2.45 gears.

One of my HS friends had a 77 318 Fury circa 1985.

Not sure of the rear end gear but that car would spin the tire through all three gears.

Very impressive for a smog era 318 in a heavy car.

There were more pics, I just didn't save them at the time.
It appears to be a 400 4brl, but until I see the VIN I can't verify.
Screenshot_20220125-081439_Kijiji.jpg
Screenshot_20220125-081449_Kijiji.jpg
Screenshot_20220125-081500_Kijiji.jpg
Screenshot_20220125-081509_Kijiji.jpg

I see AC, buckets, cruise control, PW, and tilt wheel.

The more I see of that car, the more I like it.

(although I could do without that vinyl top)

Triple black, though.

Auto Transport Service
Back