• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 Fury

bigbrowncar

Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
I am sorry if I am hijacking a thread but I am new here. I wound up getting a 1978 Plymouth Fury ex police car and not sure what I can do with it.. It’s Brown on tan with rubber mats inside. It looks good not rusty the interior needs help. The engine is bad but still ran enough to get on to a uhaul trailer. [Rod though oil pan] Not sure if it is 400 or 440. The info is gone off the crossmember but it’s a big motor. I want to keep this car but am curious if a more modern drivetrain can be put in IE V-8 from wrecked 2014 charger. Any ideas would be great. Thanks for any info..

welcome and here you go
1691278129968.png

I am sorry if I am hijacking a thread but I am new here. I wound up getting a 1978 Plymouth Fury ex police car and not sure what I can do with it.. It’s Brown on tan with rubber mats inside. It looks good not rusty the interior needs help. The engine is bad but still ran enough to get on to a uhaul trailer. [Rod though oil pan] Not sure if it is 400 or 440. The info is gone off the crossmember but it’s a big motor. I want to keep this car but am curious if a more modern drivetrain can be put in IE V-8 from wrecked 2014 charger. Any ideas would be great. Thanks for any info..
Does it have A38 on the fender tag?

Also, the bottom row of characters on the fender tag will have the engine code...Exx. You fill in the xx and someone will tell you which engine came in the car.

Can you post a picture of your car? We are picture addicts here on FBBO.

Congratulations on acquiring this car and welcome to FBBO!

Introduce yourself and car here and receive a warm welcome from boatloads of folks.

Welcome Wagon

Can you post a picture of your car? We are picture addicts here on FBBO.

Congratulations on acquiring this car and welcome to FBBO!
We are indeed picture addicts. It doesn't matter if it's a Daytona or a grocery-gettin' station wagon. If it's a Mopar, it's welcome.

And welcome to the clan!
1691324992546.png

Upgrading to a modern drivetrain will cost allot of money. Its totally doable but better have a $20k+ budget. With more power comes additional upgrades. Your more cost effective route would be to get a used 383, 400 or 440 and it will fit nicely without changing much.

This ^^^^^^ And most all parts from current engine will be reused.

Hey guys. Sorry for the lack of pics still.. Can’t get them to upload.. But it is a 440 car with a Carter thermoquad. I had a friend look at it he said the motor went because the rear main went and blew oil out. Other things he noticed was it has a hole in the a pilar for a spotlight that is covered in silicone and said this might have been a highway car because on the left rear quarter is a large rubber plug that covers a cb antenna hole that is also siliconed. There are 2 fuel pumps one electric and one mechanical but the wires to the electric were cut. He also said its a slick top car with only 2 holes for a scanner in the back of the roof. Other then that I will try to get pics up asap.. The car reeks of mouse house so I am going to wait for cooler weather to deal with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back