• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Chrysler 300

I have lots of 1979 300 specific trim parts NOS or used if you need any.

those cars are growing on me...i like the color combo. good luck w/it!

I was looking for something else when I found mine too, mine was original with 117K on it. Ran funky at times, ignition issues, carb issues... ditched the Lean Burn, put in a MP-style ignition with distributor and an Edelbrock 600. Fresh tuneup, disconnected a lot of crumbling emissions stuff, put on some KYBs and Cooper Cobras and have had 20,000 essentially trouble free miles. GREAT car - goes, stops, handles. In TX, drove it to FLA and back, KS and back, planning another FLA trip. Eats the highway. Seger in the player makes it a total time machine for me.

Once you get your wipers working use RainX or equivalent. Use them only when you have to. It's all held together by silly crumbling Mopar-dark-years bean-counter plastic.

And don't let salt get anywhere NEAR it.

Otherwise, best all-around B body I've ever had.

Sugest you dump the leanburn and put a conversion kit from Chrysler on it. 34 year old rudimentry electronics will forever be a problem for you. Restored a 79 300 with 28K on the odometer for my wife a few years back and the leanburn system was the first thing to go. BTW, I have a complete heater box with a good core ( no A/C ) for sale if you are interested. Nice looking car you have there. mares3002.jpg

I just bought one Yesterday,Unmolested,78,000 miles.I too didn't believe that the Lean Burn was still on it. Carb needs gone thru,no accelerator pump squirt. Won't start when hot unless you prime it.Nice driver.Remember when they were new.Only took 33 years to get one.
Marty Mopar I'll be looking you up for some trim.Gonna get going on it as soon as I can get it on the rack.

Nice car, they are definitely great cruisers. I've been on a lot of road trips with my doba and never get uncomfortable. 20+ hrs of driving, halfway across Canada and back a few times, driving through the Rockies and she still rides like new. 107,500kms (66,800mi)

Nice looking ride crizilla! That front bumper looks brand new on it..

Got the car going,The acc-pump nozzles were clogged,so I didn't have to get into the carb. Glad it wasn't the transfer tube.Car starts,runs and drives better. Fresh fuel,Changed all the fluids and filters and when on the rack went thru the suspension and steering. Have to replace the pitman arm.All the bushings are in good shape.
Anything that I should look out for ? Don't want to miss anything.
Tune up will be done after the engine compartment is cleaned.
My next door neighbor has a detail shop and it will get a good clean up Tuesday.

Double check the K-member iso bushings. They tend to go and the frame rails tend to rot there as well. Sound like you have covered most of everything else. Enjoy!

Thanks, those bushings are better than I expected.Same with the rear springs. looks like the shackle bushings will be needing replaced before driving daily.

'79 Cordoba Trim

I have lots of 1979 300 specific trim parts NOS or used if you need any.

What might yo uhave? THX. JACK

- - - Updated - - -

I have a '79 and some needs...what have you? THX. Jack

This seems to be an old thread but I thought I may be able to revive it? Just like you, my 300 wasn't what I was looking for when I was looking for a classic car last summer. But when I found it and did a little research I couldn't pass up a deal at $1,400! The only things I needed to do right away was tires and exhaust. I am into the car for $2,850 and I enjoy it every chance I can! I am amazed at the attention I get when I go to local car shows and cruise nights!

Oh yea! In da same boat. Everyone smears at late 70's cars but when they show up, !!!!!!

Great find. Found one in Lombard, Il in 2007 with 28K on the odometer. Restored it for my wife and she has been enjoying it ever since. It was a double option plate car from California, so lots of stuff on it ( including factory sun roof ). For reliability, I suggest you dump the lean burn system in it's entirety - also the convertors ( mine had 3 on it). The original T-quad can be reworked to run great. They make great drivers. Good luck with it. mares3002.jpg

After a year of driving my exhaust converters clogged up .I don't have to smog it so a call to TTI got a complete system using the stock exhaust manifolds.

Attachments

• IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2116.jpg
    IMG_2116.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 222
I guess I'm in the minority. I have a '79 Volare Road Runner I bought new, 318 Thermoquad, and the Lean Burn set-up is still on it. 116k and no problems.

Stew

Someone before me replaced the leanburn system and carb with an Edlebrock, it runs great and after my weekend tune up even better! I can't wait for warmer weather! Next project is front end bushings.

Oh yea! In da same boat. Everyone smears at late 70's cars but when they show up, !!!!!!

Great looking 300!

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, I had to sell my 300 to fund my 68. I also lost a so called "friend" based on the BS he was shoveling. He told me he was buying for his son (good kid) for when he turned 16. He gave me a line of BS to get a good deal, and I sold it to him for what I had into it with the intention if he needed to sell it, I have first right to refusal. Needless to say, he got rid of it right away to make a few bucks......... Carma will get him!

Auto Transport Service
Back