• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Lil Rusty (Express) Truck

70ChargerBP

Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
I haven’t been on much lately due to work and family stuff going on but a complete Lil Red kind of fell into my lap. It is complete but EXTREMELY rusty. My son and I are working to do a very budget build around the 400 I built back in the late 90s for a 68 Charger.

My 70 Charger is on hold until I figure out what to do with the frame rails that the previous owner booger welded mounts for a C body rear end to. So… not a B body but let me know if you’re interested in seeing our winter project?

**Note… the cab is shot and I know our patchwork is not “correct.” This is a “get er mechanically sound and safe” build that might look ok from 10 feet away on a small budget. If we love it I have a 78 cab out back that’s better.

IMG_1281.jpeg

71962032820__FC576210-E392-43D3-9D4B-E8A2E5557726.jpeg

Let's see it.

I'm on the fence about my step-side due to the same rusty cab issues.

Cool trucks. It looks like a drop the 400 in and go kind of deal. They don't all have to be restored to perfection.

Thanks guys! Painting the living room - holiday honey do list- but will try to show the progress today.

Ok here we go. Honey do list (mostly)done! Patching the drivers side. Rust holes we can’t weld shut are getting cut out and sheet metal patches.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can see this Lil Red came with the optional “clear” bed floor. But rust converter did well on the frame after some wire wheel work.

image.jpg

Wiring out. She was originally equipped with the Mopar extra cost “firewall rust” option as well. A wire wheel mostly fixed it. The heater box was broken to pieces so I’m machining a nice aluminum plate for it. Race truck..,

image.jpg

By the way if anyone has ideas here how to keep the Charger straight replacing the frame rails please let me know. Thanks Captain Boogerweld hahaha

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back