• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Magnum Gas Tank Options

gastona

Local time
11:22 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1979 Magnum, the gas tank is rusted out and needs to be replaced. Replacement tanks are not available, would any other gas tank fit/work? Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

A 73-74 Charger tank should work. The difference I believe between the years is the hump on the 1974 tank. I can't remember which year will work for your 79 going off memory but, I think if you search here you could find the answer.

A 73-74 Charger tank should work. The difference I believe between the years is the hump on the 1974 tank. I can't remember which year will work for your 79 going off memory but, I think if you search here you could find the answer.
Thank you so much for the advice.

The 74 should be the closest.

However, I'd measure the hump location just to be sure.

73 has no vapor manifold (it's inside the hump on 74).

it was a separate part on 73.

I have a 1979 Magnum, the gas tank is rusted out and needs to be replaced. Replacement tanks are not available, would any other gas tank fit/work? Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
79 only! 78 and earlier have a large hump in the middle that the 79 doesn't, making the trunk floor flat. It is possible that the 79 -81 R-body will work (they are basically the same car but with more doors) but I don't know that for sure.

The 74 should be the closest.

However, I'd measure the hump location just to be sure.

73 has no vapor manifold (it's inside the hump on 74).

it was a separate part on 73.
Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate your help.

79 only! 78 and earlier have a large hump in the middle that the 79 doesn't, making the trunk floor flat. It is possible that the 79 -81 R-body will work (they are basically the same car but with more doors) but I don't know that for sure.
Good point, thank you for the recommendation. I believe that a 73 tank maybe the closest. I'll take a look at the R body as well.

78 and earlier WILL NOT fit. you can put a 79 in an older car but the other way around. Save some time and don't bother with the 73. I'll see if I have some tanks here and get a few pictures tonight.

78 and earlier WILL NOT fit. you can put a 79 in an older car but the other way around. Save some time and don't bother with the 73. I'll see if I have some tanks here and get a few pictures tonight.
Sounds great, let me know what you have.

tank pictures

79 tank.JPG

78 tank.JPG

I believe it was stated that the 73 Charger tank will fit. Also, I believe Quantra? makes them. check with Van's Auto as well. Good luck finding one. Also, are you on Farcebook? I have a forum on there, 78-79 Dodge Magnum Owner's Group.

I believe it was stated that the 73 Charger tank will fit. Also, I believe Quantra? makes them. check with Van's Auto as well. Good luck finding one. Also, are you on Farcebook? I have a forum on there, 78-79 Dodge Magnum Owner's Group.
Not in a 79. Unless you cut a big hole in the trunk floor.

maybe it was the '74. I recall talking with a guy who stated he used a 73 or 74 Charger tank, one is humpless, one is humped like the '78's. Memory fades.

If your planning to install dual exhaust, the larger stock tank will limit you to single exhaust. Smaller non hump gas tank should be available to replace your tank. Tank mounting straps need to match your existing tank. Keep up posted on your final installation.

My ‘79 Magnum has a 22 gallon tank with dual exhaust @ 2-1/2.

Auto Transport Service
Back