• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 dodge van transmission question.

Tony Tee

Local time
1:41 PM
Reaction score
Did some horse trading and I now own a 1990 dodge van 5.2 that doesn't run. The gas tank is out. and the computer is bad. But it came with a spare computer. So if I install the computer and a new fuel pump. And it still doesn't run.... I was thinking to convert it to a carburetor with a different intake manifold and a vacuum advance distributor. Then the only thing that might not work is the transmission. I think it might not work without a computer. Or will it? It has wires at the tailshaft (overdrive maybe?) And two more sets of wires near the shift linkage. Or will I have to find a old school transmission as well? Thanks in advance. Tony.
20230226_172121.jpg
20230226_172159.jpg

Im not good with late model stuff, but I do know the 727/904's are hydraulic, as are the RH models....no electronics until the RE models. One of your pics looks like an electronic speed sensor for the odometer/speedometer, and one of the others looks like the neutral safety/backup lights. I think you'll be good...things didnt get too crazy until a couple years later.

Neutral safety switch and electric speedo. ruffcut

Converting it to a carb is a great way to go on that setup, you can run an edelbrock performer intake #2176 with carb of your choice, and install the smallblock electronic conversion kit. If your converting to a manual fuel pump sometimes the roller camshaft snout is too short to run a fuel pump eccentric, you need to get a fuel pump adapter from Hughes engines, link is below. On the od trans you have it will be an A500 or A518 and shouldn't be a big issue to hook up shift linkage. The overdrive and lockup converter would need a some wiring done to make it work PATC transmission has a setup or you make make your own as well.

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...earch&search=fuel+pump+eccentric&partid=22194

La timing cover( re set the TDC location on balancer), eccentric and standard water pump if it has the serp belt setup. The waterpump is a reverse rotation on those.

Auto Transport Service
Back