• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990's

The Sprint in regular form wasn't a bad car. It was peppy with the 5 speed and did get good mileage. I drove some of the 1985 models when I worked as a lot boy at a Chevy dealership in late 1984.
You were a lot of boy?? :poke: :thumbsup: Is the Sprint the one that came with a 3 cylinder engine? My BIL bought that or something similar because of the mpg it got and the seat went back far enough for him to drive it. He was 6'7" and the seat went back fare enough that I couldn't reach the pedals and I'm 5'9". It reminded me of the Dodge Omni.....another box car that really didn't appeal to me but the Omni GLHS sure got my attention lol

We may be in the minority here....guys more interested in performance than fuel economy.
Way back when, Julie Clark taught me to be interested in both when she handed me the keys to her husband's GTX. She told me to work and save for that car down the road, but to use a slant six Valiant as my daily driver.

Way back when, Julie Clark taught me to be interested in both when she handed me the keys to her husband's GTX. She told me to work and save for that car down the road, but to use a slant six Valiant as my daily driver.
I wish my Dakota's got better mpg. That's the only down side they have imo. My diesel gets much better mpg but the price of fuel almost makes it a wash plus the Club Cab and long bed makes it more difficult to drive into the tight parking lots etc.

For the life of me I cannot think of any 1990's cars from the Big 3 that interest me enough to go look for one.

Last edited:
For the life of me I cannot think of any 1990's cars from the Big 3 that interest me enough to go look for one.
The Dakota caught my eye in 87 when they first came out but have always liked pickups and having a smaller get around pickup is nice but didn't like the mini trucks at all. Too dang small. Bought a 92 5.2 new with 3.90 gears and limited slip...reg cab short box. Fun truck and it surprised me that it got mpg nearly as good as the V6 and lots more pep not to mention it would actually pull a decent size trailer.

The Dakota caught my eye in 87 when they first came out but have always liked pickups and having a smaller get around pickup is nice but didn't like the mini trucks at all. Too dang small. Bought a 92 5.2 new with 3.90 gears and limited slip...reg cab short box. Fun truck and it surprised me that it got mpg nearly as good as the V6 and lots more pep not to mention it would actually pull a decent size trailer.
Sounds like a truck...I said car:poke:

:blah:

:lol:

People should stop looking at the Ol' Lee thing as black and white.
K cars did put a huge boost into Chrysler's wallet. Enough that they bought AMC, could afford to redesign their V8's well before GM or Ferd, could afford to redesign the entire body of the 94 truck line in less than a year, bought into Mistubishi.....

The company was in a bad way because while GM and Ferd had shiny new stuff for 78 Chrysler just.... didn't.
Why didn't they hold their own in the truck line? Because they dumped the big block. Did most trucks come with a big block? No.
They decided to drop V8 muscle cars, no pony car. Did the majority of public buy a muscle car? No.

Lee came in, saw what the last couple years of the 70's were, and slammed the door on those things. The issue is, those things are very, very important marketing tools. They reach a segment of the population to create loyalty and "hype". the 80's turned into Ford vs Chevy, and in WI, the Chevy side were zealots to the point by the 90's they were willing to pay $30k for a $19k pony car. The Mustang was the stop light drag race king of the late 80's. Of course there were challengers, but they were few between and much more expensive.
Ford and Chevy offered a big block into the late 90's, GM offered the 8.1 until mid 2000's. Ford switched to a V10. Now Ford has a new big block.
Chrysler stopped big blocks DECADES before, and the 80's they were not even a talking point on the truck scene because of it.
Turbo hatchbacks were fast, but they were not "cool". No high school guy was leaning on his hood in his jean jacket in the 80's waiting for the girls to come check out his hatchback.

Ol' Lee made a good decision developing the K cars. He could have left the 400 available(or 440!) for the 250/350 trucks, AT LEAST until they made the deal with Cummins. They could have had a gap with some turbo K cars and in the late 80's, or for SURE by the time the early 90's came around, developed a low cost RWD 5.2 powered pony car.
Lee viewed those ideas as relics from the 70's and it kept Chrysler from blowing the doors off of Ford and GM. Lee settled for recovery instead of dominance. His entire career there was spent in damage control mode, even after paying loans back early, stabilizing the company, and even buying competition. He needed to either go away by that point or turn the page into a more aggressive development/marketing model.
Ford had a F150, the Taurus, and the Mustang. Tempo was the commuter car.
GM had a Silverado(K1500), a slug of nameplates on the W body chassis, and a Camaro. Grand Am's and Cavaliers were commuter cars.
Chrysler didn't have a big block for people to recognize their trucks until the body overhaul in 94, ??????(Intrepid in the 90's eventually) and ?????? K cars were viewed as commuter cars, even the leather appointed ones by the public. People that bought Taurus, Lumina, Buick LeSabre, Grand Prix, were NOT looking at K cars as equivalent. Chrysler was.

Lee needed to fill the gaps once the company stabilized. He owned the minivan market. He was SUPER late to the party on the trucks and sedans, but they did do a great job once they got there. They never did come back around to the pony car market. 10 years later after Daimler bought it they did! And nowdays what is left? Trucks that got a hold of the market through aggressive design in 1994 and the muscle cars. Trucks kept their share and the muscle cars built theirs both on the marketing power of V8 and HEMI.

Lee was a genius to add k cars to the market, the caravan, saved Chrysler. He was a blasted fool for not doing in 1990 what the Germans decided to do in the mid 2000's. He is not a saint, he is not a buffoon. He took the company out of the abyss and then left it sitting on the edge instead of climbing to the top of the mountain.

Veeehickel.....izat betta? :D
is-it-fast-qoaqbz.jpg

Yeah, I even had K-car but got it dirt cheap with 30k miles on it.....a 2dr Shadow in Poly Blue. If it had been a 4dr, it would have been no way. Some guy tried to commit suicide in it and wasn't successful and burned up the back end of the car and filled the interior up with soot. Fried the LR tire and the hatch and burned some paint off the LR quarter. Was a decent car until it hit 100k miles and the head gasket started leaking. If I had more sense when it first started swallowing water, probably could have got more miles out of it with some stop leak lol. My paint work was too dry on the quarter but it was my second time to do any but my first time came out really nice on a dash board in a truck. Live and learn.....
Remember when the K cars came out, they were a selection at the time in the line-up of company cars we could get: Tempo, Sunbird, and Firenza. I ordered the Olds, after going for a ride in a co-workers new K-car. We kept thinking a window was partially open; they weren’t. And there was a good size hill on the route we would take to work. Driving up the hill, it lost the giddy-up and flooring it didn’t help..

Just a story I heard first hand from a guy that worked for Chrysler at the Newark Delaware parts depot. I met him in Carlisle at the 1985 Mopar show. He said in late 1980 Iacocca authorized the scrapping of all replacement parts for the “old Chrysler Corporation”. By law they had to keep replacement parts for 10 years after production. The guy told me that he witnessed railcar loads of E body quarter panels, hoods, fenders, and other sheet metal. Also plenty of ‘68-‘70 B body parts. Some of the guys bought up parts including a few shaker hoods. I don’t think he was making the story up, and when I went to the dealer in ‘83 trying to find parts for my ‘70 ‘Cuda, most everything came up NS-1. If you remember back then… Lee was in the commercials touting the “new Chrysler Corporation”. To which I say F**k him.

Just a story I heard first hand from a guy that worked for Chrysler at the Newark Delaware parts depot. I met him in Carlisle at the 1985 Mopar show. He said in late 1980 Iacocca authorized the scrapping of all replacement parts for the “old Chrysler Corporation”. By law they had to keep replacement parts for 10 years after production. The guy told me that he witnessed railcar loads of E body quarter panels, hoods, fenders, and other sheet metal. Also plenty of ‘68-‘70 B body parts. Some of the guys bought up parts including a few shaker hoods. I don’t think he was making the story up, and when I went to the dealer in ‘83 trying to find parts for my ‘70 ‘Cuda, most everything came up NS-1. If you remember back then… Lee was in the commercials touting the “new Chrysler Corporation”. To which I say F**k him.
Didn't GM do the same when the "NEW" GM came about?

Didn't GM do the same when the "NEW" GM came about?

I’m not sure. But a neighbor of mine was restoring a ‘69 Z/28 and got a brand new set of quarter panels and a cowl hood from Bergey’s Chevrolet. This was in 2004. He said GM had better stamping molds than the aftermarket, and he got full quarters with the C pillar.

Similarly, virtually no 1979 Chrysler 300 parts were available by 1981 (listed as NS-1) and none were to be found by 1983 (NS-1 and NS-3). The dealerships wouldn't even bother trying to order anything by 1983.

NEW GM was in 2009, after GMAC was BLOWN UP becoming Ally Bank

The turbo G and K body cars did just fine as did the V6 versions.

4 cyl versions were no worse than a 225 powered Duster or comparable 6 cyl maverick or nova.

The 4 cyl L body cars did just as good as cavaliers and their clones.

I said "but, we did get the Dakota..."

Which also played a part in the continued "recovery".

Game changer.

I just wish they hadn't basically ruined it and then left the market they created and caused the others to change their designs to enter...including toyota, which is a huge accomplishment.

I said "but, we did get the Dakota..."

Which also played a part in the continued "recovery".

Game changer.

I just wish they hadn't basically ruined it and then left the market they created and caused the others to change their designs to enter...including toyota, which is a huge accomplishment.
They quit making dakotas because the way the EPA works. Ranger was for the same reason.
On top of this, even if they kept on, now they would cost $65k because of all the computer boards shoved into them.
GM made the new colorado, but it is heavier than an 80's half ton truck. Probably than an 80's 3/4 ton if I bothered to go look.

Gotta hand Lee Iacocca lots of accolades for what he accomplished for Chrysler Corporation.

1980's and 1990's...Bob Lutz deserves a lot of credit for his work and accomplishments at Chrysler (and at other OEM's too for that matter).

• Executive at Chrysler Corporation—1986 to 1998. Lutz began his service with Chrysler in 1986 as executive vice president and was shortly thereafter elected to the Chrysler Corporation board. Lutz led all of Chrysler's automotive activities, including sales, marketing, product development, manufacturing, and procurement and supply. Lutz also served as president and chief operating officer, responsible for Chrysler's car and truck operations worldwide.
Bob Lutz (businessman) - Wikipedia.

This is consistent with the stories regarding the OEM parts on two GTXs I've owned, Baby Blue, and the Demonstrator, my current one. The current car was redone in 1981 with OEM sheet metal and exterior trim. The GTX was the family car of the local Plymouth dealer, and it took them nearly a year to locate all the parts. My friend Bob Miller, who sold me Baby Blue in 1983, had access to Chrysler parts inventories because of a link to their computers through the Goddard Space Center where his dad worked. He had a connection there who located all the exterior trim, but it was a tedious process in the early 80s.

Auto Transport Service
Back