• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 groove big block pulley question

justjim

Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
i was told in order for the power steering to work both double groove pulleys should be the same diameter on the fan pulley and the crankshaft pulley? PM me

No. On BB mopars with no A/C 1969 older both grooves were same diameter. 1970 saw the PS groove larger diameter. They both have the same offset. So with the right length belt either would work.

I know I'm being pedantic. 70 motor in a 64.
Do what style power steering pump are you using?
64-70 use offset pattern on the harmonic balancer, so any in that year range "fit".
Belt width changes in 69, so early pump will have the wrong width belt.
Are you trying match the 64 look?
Your other post mentioned getting a dual groove W.P. pulley, which would be just wrong.
If a 70 lower pulley is what you want, small block is the same. Of course, that is 1 year only and hard to find. (Yes some in 71 have offset pattern)

64-70 use offset pattern on the harmonic balancer, so any in that year range "fit".
Your other post mentioned getting a dual groove W.P. pulley, which would be just wrong.
If a 70 lower pulley is what you want, small block is the same. Of course, that is 1 year only and hard to find. (Yes some in 71 have offset pattern)

i have the original 64 Plymouth power steering pump # 2129623, i asked for info on that number to see what type it is and what year

i currently have a 6 1/2 inch diameter pulley for the fan pulley and my crankshaft pulley diameter is 7 1/4 on my 1970 440 motor

Then you should use an early style lower pulley with the ps belt wider than the than alt.
I probably have more than one. PM me

i currently have a 6 1/2 inch diameter pulley for the fan pulley and my crankshaft pulley diameter is 7 1/4 on my 1970 440 motor
You must have a small block cast iron water pump pulley on it.. Any issues with the water pump bolts?? Those pullies look similar to big block but the big block is 2 3/4 in high 6 7/8 wide and the small block is 2 5/8 in high 6 1/2 inch wide

There is more than 1 size of bb w/p pulley’s that are 2 3/4 deep. U actually should have a smaller diameter w/p pulley to speed up the w/p so it will run cooler. Or a bigger crank pulley. Kim.

There is more than 1 size of bb w/p pulley’s that are 2 3/4 deep. U actually should have a smaller diameter w/p pulley to speed up the w/p so it will run cooler. Or a bigger crank pulley. Kim.
My Bad. Yes there are different w/p diameters I thought this was the guy (it wasn't I re read what he was asking) who was dealing with pulley alignment on the water pump to crank pulley I recently read somewhere... I have seen many over the years trying to use the typical BB w/p pulley and it ended up being the SB one...

Ok, here are the correct pulleys for a 64-69 big block. For the offset bolt pattern harmonic balancer, wide ps belt.
I have dirty set and a blasted and epoxy primed pair.
I have the same for later balancers that have the one bolt hole elongated.

20231127_164222.jpg

20231127_164159.jpg

20231127_162937.jpg

20231127_163008.jpg

20231127_163036.jpg

20231127_163036.jpg

20231127_163112.jpg

20231127_163056.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back