• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 wire alt battery relocation to trunk { not a race car }

What is a "constant output solenoid"??.....a constant output solenoid is a direct connection. Out of curiosity, WHY or what are you trying to accomplish and, if I may ask, for what purpose ?? IMO...there is no need to disconnect the alternators output.....for what purpose?......
BOB RENTON
It looks like the purpose is kill any power through the car when the ignition is off and the master disconnect is off. But its a complicated way of doing it.

What is a "constant output solenoid"??.....a constant output solenoid is a direct connection. Out of curiosity, WHY or what are you trying to accomplish and, if I may ask, for what purpose ?? IMO...there is no need to disconnect the alternators output.....for what purpose?......
BOB RENTON

The minimum NHRA standard for a race car leaves the cable from alternator to battery hot at all times. When you watch a car burn to the ground because that charge cable remained hot AFTER the cut off switch is thrown, changes your perspective on leaving hot wires anywhere in the car. Once thrown, nothing outside about a 2' cube is hot in any of my cars. That is a freshened up, cleaner version of my wiring schematic up I've used for 20+ years in race cars with a cut off switch.

To answer a different question of why the ford solenoid, I prefer that the starter load never see the cut off switch. Running the load through the cut off then to the ford relay, nope, not on my stuff.
You may create a loop if you aren't careful with feeding everything at the ford solenoid as your buspoint.

Depends on what you are doing and trying to accomplish.

Last edited:
The minimum NHRA standard for a race car leaves the cable from alternator to battery hot at all times. When you watch a car burn to the ground because that charge cable remained hot AFTER the cut off switch is thrown, changes your perspective on leaving hot wires anywhere in the car. Once thrown, nothing outside about a 2' cube is hot in any of my cars. That is a freshened up, cleaner version of my wiring schematic up I've used for 20+ years in race cars with a cut off switch.

To answer a different question of why the ford solenoid, I prefer that the starter load never see the cut off switch. Running the load through the cut off then to the ford relay, nope, not on my stuff.
You may create a loop if you aren't careful with feeding everything at the ford solenoid as your buspoint.

Depends on what you are doing and trying to accomplish.
In your initial statment, you mentioned that this was not a race car, and I was just trying to rationalize all the changes proposed. Now, you note NHRA standard.....if you're building to that standard.....great.....but if not racing to any sanctioning body, why go to the effort? There is a cleaner way to accomplish isolation, especially not disconnecting the alternator output, as the diodes could be damaged. But, it's your vehicle.....do what you wish......
BOB RENTON

You asked why the CD relay, that is the answer.

Initial statement? Do you have me mixed up with the OP. OP found my schematic and asked about the CD relay and whether it was "required".

Please post a schematic of how you would do it with a single cut off switch. I'm open to all viewpoints and approaches.

As a side note.... the footnote on your post is how the schematic came about. :D

Last edited:
99 out of 100 race cars run starter current through the master cut-off switch

Auto Transport Service
Back