• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7. Won’t restart hot

Dennis H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:13 PM
Reaction score
121k. Spins, won’t light. Severe Mail Duty RH Drive conversion. Ambient 90F.
Shops can’t find problem. Engine temp normal. After 3 hours. 652 stops on route. Residual fuel pressure or component getting cooked? Heat soak?

If it starts normally cold, but dies or won't start, electric fuel pump could be going bad. The worse the pump gets, the faster it will happen. Basically, the pump overheats and doesn't work, so there is no fuel pressure. When the pump cools down, it will work for a period of time depending on how bad the pump is, then it will stop working.

Found this out working in the mountains. When I was moving to FL from CO, My truck was having that issue, so I pulled into a rest stop and called a tow service. By the time they arrived, it worked as it had cooled down, and I/we tried to get it to the dealer as I was moving. They ended up towing me as it only worked for about 2 minutes. At the dealer, is sat outside so long, it once again worked, and the young mechanic said the same thing, 'I can't find anything wrong'. I explained the problem, and demanded that the pump be replaced. I made it to FL after that...

Last edited:
You can get a chinesium blue tooth OBD2 reader for $9.99 and the Torque app for your phone for $5.99
You can monitor fuel trim and even data log.
Fuel pumps on 2005 use Pulse Width to maintain pressure rather than a fuel regulator. It could be the line sensor.
I assume no check engine lights, so will assume no sensor problems. Probably fuel pump.

...theres somthing wrong. seriously? you expect the world to diag your jeep over the internet with just it wont start after 652 stops? it could be about a hundred things. get a scaner on it or a good mechanic on it. good luck

Nice attitude there, super helpful.

Full tank or low fuel? If it happens less often on a full tank, that backs up the fuel pump theory. Keep the pump submerged and it stays cooler.
There should be a schrader valve on the fuel rail - you can get a manual gauge to tap in, and keep an eye on fuel pressure that way. I'd lean towards a pump though, at least as a starting point.

Dennis,
Say it ain’t so! You’ve had bad luck with fuel pumps.

Dennis,
Say it ain’t so! You’ve had bad luck with fuel pumps.

Tell me about it, I changed one for him in the freaking desert with almost no tools other than what some old drunk offered up in his 60 year collection of junk stuff.

Tell me about it, I changed one for him in the freaking desert with almost no tools other than what some old drunk offered up in his 60 year collection of junk stuff.
Howard Hughes maybe??? :praying:

Good flying weather.
7A7F7954-A58E-4CD6-A1C8-7645B5A44B38.jpeg

The 652 stops don’t always have engine shut off. Linda’s daughter Jodi is a Postal employee. Says when there is a group of deliveries she is not allowed to let the engine run. Fired if caught. Now we need a reliable Shop in 18102-18080 Zip vicinity.

I have the honor of owning a 2010 Jeep Commander 3.7 that my wife absolutely loves.
I have done a lot of work on that thing.
We're at 168k and I just replaced the oil pan that was rusted and seemed to be de-laminating.
Anyhow, I've been dealing with an intermittent starting problem for a while now. I read about the "Jeep Flu"? My Commander will randomly not start after a shut off. Usually, it starts within an hour. But, sometimes starts sooner when you move the shifter P--1 and back a couple times while singing a special Hymn. Definitely electrical in my opinion. I changed the starter, then checked the wiring from the battery. Beats the **** out of me brother!

Try this, when hot, hit the fuel tank hard several times and check if the engine start, if it does is the fuel pump.
I had a mechanic tell me to try that with my 2007 Ram.

Just like smacking a starter motor. If it's on a dead spot, it can jar the coils enough to get it to a "live" spot again.

Nice attitude there, super helpful.

Full tank or low fuel? If it happens less often on a full tank, that backs up the fuel pump theory. Keep the pump submerged and it stays cooler.
There should be a schrader valve on the fuel rail - you can get a manual gauge to tap in, and keep an eye on fuel pressure that way. I'd lean towards a pump though, at least as a starting point.
Sorry you didn't like my reply. Too bad. I'm not a mind reader , there was NOT enough information to make an intelligent comment. To properly diagnose why the jeep wont start is simple. A gasoline internal combustion engine needs air fuel and ignition to run. everyone on this forum should know this . If you dont take an automotive repair course. When the jeep fails to start the party involved needs to see if it has spark at the plugs fuel at the fuel rail with the correct pressure and compression. The injectors also need to be checked to see if the PCM is firing them. you could dick around all day banging on the tank or starter or you can do it the right way and figure out what is missing . Then the repair can be made. Basics first.

Sorry you didn't like my reply. Too bad. I'm not a mind reader , there was NOT enough information to make an intelligent comment. To properly diagnose why the jeep wont start is simple. A gasoline internal combustion engine needs air fuel and ignition to run. everyone on this forum should know this . If you dont take an automotive repair course. When the jeep fails to start the party involved needs to see if it has spark at the plugs fuel at the fuel rail with the correct pressure and compression. The injectors also need to be checked to see if the PCM is firing them. you could dick around all day banging on the tank or starter or you can do it the right way and figure out what is missing . Then the repair can be made. Basics first.
Knowledge is great. Especially, when shared tactfully and graciously.

Does lit have a crank shaft censer ?
I thought of that and have replaced a few on all the jeeps I've owned, 4 liter inline. It could be, but, I think it's vapor lock, try wrapping the bare metal fuel line that crosses over the engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back