• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

21 years ago today, I bought this.....

That's awesome!! Is that the same road runner that you have today?
Yessir.

The day I tore it down (the young man in the pic is now 22).

Ben_Bird_Rotate.jpg

As it stands today, waiting for paint in May.

IMG_1966.jpg

That stance is legendary. I can't wait to see the finished car. Is your son in line to get the car? (If not, I am here) :lol:

That stance is legendary. I can't wait to see the finished car. Is your son in line to get the car? (If not, I am here) :lol:
I can't wait to see the finished resto either and I have been waiting longer than you. :) It will be totally different this time around.
The son in that pic is our oldest and he doesn't have one car gene in his body, not his thing, which is ok.
Our youngest son however uses this as a daily driver, weather permitting.

IMG_1394.jpg

I'll let them argue about it after I'm taking the dirt nap.

I can't wait to see the finished resto either and I have been waiting longer than you. :) It will be totally different this time around.
The son in that pic is our oldest and he doesn't have one car gene in his body, not his thing, which is ok.
Our youngest son however uses this as a daily driver, weather permitting.

View attachment 1083482

I'll let them argue about it after I'm taking the dirt nap.
That's a pretty Duster. Hopefully that dirt nap is a LONG way away.

Sorry. I did NOT see where you wrote "26 years ago..."
Sometimes when I make a post with pictures, I have to go back and edit so the text is above the pictures instead of being aside them. It looks better and avoids some confusion.
Thanks, sorry for being curt.

Sorry. I did NOT see where you wrote "26 years ago..."
Sometimes when I make a post with pictures, I have to go back and edit so the text is above the pictures instead of being aside them. It looks better and avoids some confusion.
Thanks, sorry for being curt.

It looks like you're struggling with how to operate here.

You weren't being Curt, you're Kern Dog.
You've got a nice looking project going.
Mine is a little unorthodox. But the two
are still something worth showing off.

What did you do for the first 10 years (the photos are dated 2005)...
This was during the design a concept
stage. I bought the sheet metal from
a 1940 PT-105 from my ex-boss for $50.00.
We worked together as mechanical
engineers for a fleet department for a
power company. I was not into Mopar
at the time.
It took some time to detail all of the tubes
and brackets for the chassis. It's a custom
design as referenced by the cad model jpg.
We had to design the chassis to fit the
cab and front grille. This was a sideline
project we didn't devote full time to.

My story is very similar, I bought mine in Fall of 2001 for $5,000. I was looking locally for awhile, and if I saw a 68-70 for $2K, I would have gone there ASAP and paid full asking price. Mine was drivable but in need of a full restoration. I just rebuilt the complete drivetrain 440/727/(8 1/4 swap to 8 3/4) and made it a dependable driver. I put about 35,000 miles on it until Fall of 2009 when I decided I was gonna restore it right. After stripping it down and replacing the cabin and trunk floors, I cut off the right quarter panel and decided I hated body work. So 11.5 years later it still sits, and I've put multiple other car projects before it, but none needing extensive bodywork. Most of its old parts have been cannibalized for my other projects. It'll probably end up finishing it after I retire.

I also had a Camaro at the time I bought it (1978 Z28)

Here's a pic of it in the corner of my shop patiently waiting (only pic I have of it on my phone).

Capture55.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back