• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$25k vs $50k buy?

You buy a $25k car you can drive it and make improvements over the years - very satisfying.

You buy a $50k version and you drive it and watch it slowly deteriorate with stone chips, dings etc - very frustrating.

I always dream of the mint condition car but I always buy the driver quality one for the above reasons. Of course you can maintain the better car, but for me it's always depressing watching the wear and tear accumulate.

Last edited:
I would buy the best car I could afford.

Condition, color combo and options are a huge deal to me and weigh heavily on MY decision

I would buy the best car I could afford.

Condition, color combo and options are a huge deal to me and weigh heavily on MY decision
In my dilemma both were the same performance, 4-speed, Dana, color. as the car of my youth i was looking to replace. (Yes, never got over that loss. Lol.) The car i got is actually in a little better condition than the original. But original was all numbers matching with the grabber. (Which I want. Just another $1200 or so? Umm. How bad do I really want?) This spring I will do a complete engine bay clean. With some touch up paint. Very minimal expense. And I will post. "Before and After" pictures.

I posted the difference of my GTX and a friend's '69 Charger. And how much Charger prices have gone nuts? A real R/T? Forget about it. My post was that I considered my GTX a better car than my friends base Charger 383 auto. (Both 3-5 condition cars) But still every indicatcation that he would get at least 10% more?
Chargers are movie stars. What well know movie that busted box offices had a GTX as the hero car? I can't remember one but my memory isn't what it once was....
The window for finding a decent priced RT Charger has passed. Now, any older model that's a MoPar (regardless of make or model), to some people that wouldn't give it a second look before think they won the freakin lotto...rust buckets going for stupid money.
I bought my RT Charger back in 1988 for 3 grand. Car was complete except for a broken rear window and driver side glass, a trans that was leaving its mark all over the ground and the usual rust areas that needed some attention.
Sadly those days are gone brother....

Guys, I've been down every road. Total clean survivor,resto mod,clean driver,and plain 'ol beater.
Never enjoyed the survivor being afraid that something would happen to it.
Resto mod had it's place and time but because of the price to do the cars they became show ponies.
Clean driver I have now but still hesitant because of cost that it doesn't get used as much as it should.
Plain 'ol beater the most fun I've ever had. Drive anywhere,don't care if it's clean but still presentable.FUN !Brings out my hillbilly roots for sure.

Chargers are movie stars. What well know movie that busted box offices had a GTX as the hero car? I can't remember one but my memory isn't what it once was....
The window for finding a decent priced RT Charger has passed. Now, any older model that's a MoPar (regardless of make or model), to some people that wouldn't give it a second look before think they won the freakin lotto...rust buckets going for stupid money.
I bought my RT Charger back in 1988 for 3 grand. Car was complete except for a broken rear window and driver side glass, a trans that was leaving its mark all over the ground and the usual rust areas that needed some attention.
Sadly those days are gone brother....
One of tboughs Fast and Furious introed a '71 GTX. So now on the map? Lol. I think the hind away headlights also plays a roll in appeal.

Guys, I've been down every road. Total clean survivor,resto mod,clean driver,and plain 'ol beater.
Never enjoyed the survivor being afraid that something would happen to it.
Resto mod had it's place and time but because of the price to do the cars they became show ponies.
Clean driver I have now but still hesitant because of cost that it doesn't get used as much as it should.
Plain 'ol beater the most fun I've ever had. Drive anywhere,don't care if it's clean but still presentable.FUN !Brings out my hillbilly roots for sure.

I couldn't have said it better. The first time I owned Baby Blue, she was only worth $2000, splits in the seats, and a shabby repaint that was rapidly crazing and fading. Drove her every weekend, every where, and never gave stone chips a thought. Gave her a new paint job, and she became a bit less fun. Since I got her back in 2013, still all numbers matching and original sheet metal, I won't even think about pushing her. The good thing is her paint is going back to the way she looked in 1983, and I have no plans of changing that.

Last edited:
I couldn't have said it better. The first time I owned Baby Blue, she was only worth $2000, splits in the seats, and a shabby repaint that was rapidly crazing and fading. Drove her every weekend, every where, and never gave stone chips a thought. Gave her a new paint job, and she became a bit less fun. Since I got her back in 2013, still all numbers matching and original sheet metal, I won't even think about pushing her.
I have to admit I baby GTX II more than my first. (Which I beat as much as could get away with) The difference? Then the GTX was a 10+ year old car. Today 50+. And then? I didn't think of resale value escalating like it has? It was just a VERY FUN $3000 car. Next month I turn 60. But I still feel young when I push the gas pedal. I have 2 boys and 2 girls grown now. And they are not that interested in the "Hotrodding" scene. If my dad had 3 fast muscle era cars needing time and drive time? I would have been living in his basement!

Last edited:
Who cares, buy what you want and can and enjoy it. Looks like an awesome car. Drive it like you stole it. Life’s short!

I would drive that $25 car all day long

I would have made the same choice as the OP. More fun per dollar that way.

I would buy the nicest car I could afford. I’m not afraid to use nice things.

the reason is:
I’d spend way more improving the less nice car.

I went to look at a decent “20 footer” A12 RR 2 years back. It checked all the boxes. Right color, 4 speed, running / driving car, etc... the price was fair for what it was.

I passed on the car and am saving for a nicer example. I passed because I know all the little parts that aren’t nice and all the wear and tear would drive me insane. I’d have it on a rotisserie within a month of ownership.

that said, it seems you made the right decision for you.

have fun

Exactly ! ^^^^^^ Some have to have a perfect car with no expense spared.
Same goes for guys that must have every detail,paint daub,markings,100% factory.
Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Yes I leke the lesser cost car!
A perfect car will never remain perfect IF you drive it. Then you will probably be pissed.
A car is meant to be driven, otherwise it is just garage art!
I have restored some good examples to perfect, every nut an bolt deals way back a couple decades ago. I had a bunch of Mopars and I knew that perfect car would find a new home sonner or latr, usually sooner. . IF I drove it and it got a gravel peck, every prospective buyer would find such and swear it wold have to have a total repaint!! BS! ha
Now I build drivers, and makes them decent and drive them. Don't need perfect to enjoy!

of course buying the lesser car means you should be able to live with at least most of the problems. Otherwise it will be a moneypit if you want to turn it into a real nice car

Carsten

of course buying the lesser car means you should be able to live with at least most of the problems. Otherwise it will be a moneypit if you want to turn it into a real nice car

Carsten
All depends on what you want and what YOU an do yourself! If you have to pay fr everything to be done, maybe just buy a done car!

All depends on what you want and what YOU an do yourself! If you have to pay fr everything to be done, maybe just buy a done car!

true

But we talked mostly about fixing the expensive details to have it real nice.
From correct "054" radiator to trim and moldings without dings and all the little details. If you want to have it perfect you need to go shopping. Often for very expensive used or NOS parts.

Carsten

And how much money people have. We don’t know what each other does or how they live, hence differing opinions.

And people have the same differing opinions on condition. Some consider nice as a nut and bolt resto on a 20k mile #’s matching car with no room on the fender tag. Others just a car that runs with no rust.

I like doing burnouts and donuts and fixing it when it’s had enough. So I’m right in the middle.

Heck, just got to Barrett-Jackson Auctions.They are giving Mopars away.
Most of the highly restored cars aren't bringing anywhere close to what it cost to restore 'um.
Just watched Scottsdale from last week.$80K for a AAR Cuda, $60K for a T/A Challenger.
They said the Challenger was worth less because it was a automatic.Same guy bought 'um both.

Auto Transport Service
Back