• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

273 and early 318 LA

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:16 AM
Reaction score
So in the last thread, I posted about finding another 273 at a local junkyard. It turns out that it's a late 60s vintage 318. Around 1967 -1969 believed to be from an A-body Barracuda. I may end up getting it after all. This would be for my 65 Belvedere wagon that has the factory 273.

Now I ask, are the oil pans and flex plates the same or interchangeable? If I pull the 273 do I need to change out the oil pans and do I need to switch the flexplates to bolt up to the 65 B-body automatic? Are the crankshafts the same bolt pattern? I am just thinking of freshening up the 318 for daily use and just want to be sure it's a simple swap before I purchase it.

Everything should bolt right up. You will most likely need to use a register bushing for the 318 crankshaft. The 1965 273 converter has the small diameter snout. 65'

Everything should bolt right up. You will most likely need to use a register bushing for the 318 crankshaft. The 1965 273 converter has the small diameter snout. 65'
Ok so is the register bushing something that it readily available? Familiarize me with this. Thanks.

Yes, it's basically a bushing that is inserted into the back of the 1967 318 crankshaft register that the torque converter nose fits into. 1967 and up has the larger diameter register, you need the bushing to reduce that diameter so the smaller 1965 torque converter nose diameter. There's a guy on FABO that was making/selling them. 440'

Auto Transport Service
Back