• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

273 front engine Dragster?

69wedge383

Local time
1:58 AM
Reaction score
For a few years now I've been gathering parts for a Front engine dragster I want to build, I would like to build it to "as raced" in the early 1960's. If you have seen Tommy Ivo's twin engine dragster that's the rollbar style I'm looking to do, (might only be allowed to run exhibition??) So here is my comment/ questions. It seems like every Mopar powered dragster in the 50s/60s ran a Hemi, did any run something else like a small block 273? Or ?? I like the 273 engine idea and think it would be different. I saw a Chevy 283 powered rail job and thought it was spot-on. How about the 383? It is bulletproof and readily available to me. Lastly I already have a Powerglide, keep it? I don't know if I want an in&bout box with today's tire compounds and limited horsepower. or should I look for a 3 speed or?? I'm open to any suggestion, I'm not looking to break any records, just have some fun running something different.

Years ago they had a class called Econo-Rail that was just as you described.I believe that they had to be small blocks.I think if you choose the 273 the torqueflite is the way to go.I also think that you can get a kit to change the tail shaft to a short one.Chassis will have to be up dated to what is current rules to go down the track.

A 383 and a power-glide would work fine on the cheap. I wouldn't use a 273. A 360 would cost no more and would be miles ahead.
Doug

PM me....I have been down the vintage dragster path twice and there are pitfalls that can dead-end you quick. I'm encouraging you to go for it! I would be glad to share my experience...one succesfull, one not-so-much.

Absolutely keep the glide...a clutch setup, two speed, reverser, can/bellhousing and certification is approximately ten times as costly. I can show you the figures. Also much more work than just flooring it and flipping the trans brake.

Small blocks were used in the very early days (50's) when the dragster was developing. Then, in the 60's they were used in a class called "jr-fuel" Some of the Mopar guys ran about a 300" Desoto hemi setup.

About the only non-hemi that you heard of was Tony Nancy's "The Wedge"...google it for pictures and history.

As front engine cars died out they introduced Econorail, as mentioned. I think they were small block and gasoline by the rules, unsure........lots of rear engine cars in econorail.

If you are just planning to fun-run/bracket race.......do anything you you want and have fun. If you are wanting to do an authentic type car and want to be Mopar....you will pretty much be thinking about early hemi power (nothing cheap about that).

I think the early (1950's) look would give you more freedom to use what you have. By the 60's it was a pretty set formula (160-170", 17" wires, stack injection in jr fuel, hemi in top fuel, )

So how about this?

-130"
-7" steel rear wheels, hand me down 8" slicks from a bracket racer.
-a hyrdraulic cam 383 with "361" or "commando" stickers on the valve covers
-a low-rise dual quad manifold (there was one in our local Craigs list for about $200) w/ a pair of "dulled down" Edelbrocks. A pair of little Cal Chrome scoops.
-homemade "straight" not curved zoomies
I'm just day dreaming here a little bit!

DVW mentioned the 383 for a reason.....seems since stroker motors that 383. are almost free. Or a "motorhome 440"

You would have NO problem cutting a good ET with a stock 383/glide.

(BTW - The old Ivo "double-hoop" cage will not meet NHRA requirements. I know of one shop that worked themselves to death with designs.....meeting/begging the chassis tech.....etc, etc. in the end they got a cert sticker on a double hoop frame but i think they didn't get the ET cert they were hoping for.........I think they had to chance the look a little bit too)

If you study the pictures of the old dragsters there are four things that clearly define the early cars.
1-short wheelbase...130"-140", I'd say.
2-19" front wheels....these used more of a baloon tire compared to the 17" skinnies of the 1960's...they were generically called "Harley Davidson sidecar wheels".
3-A narrow slick...7" or so....often on a steel wheel
4-Straight zoomies (not curved back and upswept like the 1960's) If they were curved they would curve down and back often.

Also you would see a lot of transverse spring Ford front axles....before they went strictly to the small torsion bar 60's setup.

Best of luck

Go for it, :headbang:
I love the nostalgia racing stuff, Altered's & FE dragster

should be able to find some great stuff in SoCal too...

I'd suggest finding out where you can run 1st & get a rule book, chassis specs etc.,
have a local NHRA tech guy look at the frame roll-cage etc., before you spend a bunch of money,
see where you need to add bracing & tubes or if the tubing type & thickness or the cage,
is even allowed, usable/workable...

the safety stuff, is probably the most strict, the SFI certs are mandatory
a multilayer 3-20 suit, Nomex/fire resistant underwear, head-sock & helmet, gloves, boots etc. too,
especially with the trans inside the drivers area/cockpit...
lots of safety stuff

I agree with dvw & 6T5 use the 383 or a 360 min. more power to begin with
& relatively available & inexpensive

Good luck , which ever way you go,
I'd love to see photos too when you get around to it...

Great Information!! Thank you!! now I have a lot more homework to do, I agree with the 383/glide idea and with 361 stickers that is great! although I have seen the short shaft Big block 727's at the junkyard in RV's? But I already have the glide. what do you think?......and love the straight pipes recommendation too. I am going to go to Wally Parks Museum this next weekend and look for more Ideas, Yes short wheel base late 1950s I think is the way to go. That's the look I want, The roll bar and certs are the going to take some working out first your right I may have to build a cert roll bar then ad the hoops? or just scratch the hoops, Ill have to work more on that thought or just fun/run bracket race, although?? not sure

gmp14004.jpg always wanted to build one and this would be my first choice.

Auto Transport Service
Back