• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2K polyurethane primer

velrob

Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
I had some high build primer sitting in a container (we have winters here). So roughly 2 years its been in there (froze up).

I mixed it up and the solids are gone. Should I toss it?

Doesnt smell bad. Took awhile to mix it but it mixed.

I would toss it. If you use it you might have gooey mess!

haha yea thats what im afraid of.

thx ill get new.

I had some high build primer sitting in a container (we have winters here). So roughly 2 years its been in there (froze up).

I mixed it up and the solids are gone. Should I toss it?

Doesnt smell bad. Took awhile to mix it but it mixed.
Anybody have real world experience with 'old' paint? Got something to test it on?

I’ve heard when primer is in the state you describe, you add the appropriate thinner to it and it’s fine. I have no experience with it myself.

Primers may be ok as long as you can get the proper viscosity but the hardner/ catalyst is a different story. They definitely go bad causing the primer to not harden properly.

Anybody have real world experience with 'old' paint? Got something to test it on?
I painted an old fiberglass boat and a couple Fender guitars and with 1970's PPG paint in the 1990's.

My body man/painter friend was impressed.

I painted an old fiberglass boat and a couple Fender guitars and with 1970's PPG paint in the 1990's.

My body man/painter friend was impressed.
I have a gallon of acrylic enamel that I bought dirt cheap from the 'wrong shade' shelf 20 years ago and well, thinking maybe about using it on the car that I bought it for but will test it first. It's a fine looking deep blue metallic and I like that.

I guess I'll try it on something besides the car to see how it holds up. Id buy new catalyst for sure since that leaked out haha.

I guess I'll try it on something besides the car to see how it holds up. Id buy new catalyst for sure since that leaked out haha.
I had a roof from a 67 Coronet that I used to test spray pattern etc and even though it wasn't sanded and prepped for paint, the base/clear I had for my daughter's car stayed on it for well over a year before peeling. I would guess you would be testing to make sure it didn't clog the gun or come out looking like crap but it wouldn't hurt to scuff it some id you have something that already has paint on it like an old Mopar panel that has acrylic enamel on it.....and iirc, the 2k poly is ok going over acrylic enamel. Anyone else care to chime in on this?

I have some fenders I'm going to test it on I'm curious

I've used old 2k primer and paint with no problems.. None that ever "froze" though but its solvent based not water so I doubt that would hurt it (what's the freezing point of solvent ???). I usually take the can to a local Home Hardware (those folks are more friendly!) and ask them to put it in their shaker for a while. I don't open it in the store because of the smell so I open it outside and check if its mixed. If not I usually hit another store so I don't wear out my welcome. One of those cheap little propeller-style mixers works really well also!

LOL !! Keep in mind they want to sell you product !!

haahahhaha good point. i imagine theyll say throw it out. Ive read a bunch of articles and they say solvent paints are usually good but im going to test it on a panel this weekend and see how it holds up.

If I has froze once get rid of it. Also very old paint / color that has separated for years should not be used.
Once you think the solids are stired up pour it through a strainer and see what's inside.

it prob froze more than once haha maybe 3-4 times.

i still see bits in it but its mostly mixed. when i test it ill pour it through a strainer for sure. it might of been seperated for a couple years.

it prob froze more than once haha maybe 3-4 times.

i still see bits in it but its mostly mixed. when i test it ill pour it through a strainer for sure. it might of been seperated for a couple years.
1699502081496.png

Auto Transport Service
Back