• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.23 to 3.55 ?

Opinions on these? Thanks

It says at the bottom of the page they will work for the 489. I run Motive 3.55's and I wouldn't want any more for driving around. Although I'm still running the 14" Rallye wheels if I went to a 15 it would change it some. You could run 3.55's and when you race drop your tire size a little. I will also say I like the fact that they are quiet, I was a little worried that they might have some howl. It also is important to get them set correctly to avoid this.

At 55 my rpm is 2800 with a 14" tire.

Yup, the 489 is the only 8 3/4 that uses the tapered type pinion gear and factory stock rears rear used a crush sleeve and does not use shims....unless you go with a solid spacer setup and then you will use shims for bearing preload which is the way I build them. Never like to use the word hate but in this instance, hate is putting it mildly on that dang crush sleeve lol

I noticed there was no mention of the torque convertor . If you still have the stock convertor, a switch to a higher stall will improve your performance more than probably any gear change.

Doing both a gear and a converter change will usually give the car a good kick in the butt....but the original poster didn't mention what he had...

Auto Transport Service
Back