• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.23 to 3.55 ?

tt455

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
Have a 383 with 8 3/4 3.23 sure grip.Will I notice a big difference going to 3.55's or is it not worth it? If so or if I go to the next lower gear ratio where is a good place to look for the gears. Thanks

Why not use a speed calculator and find a smaller tire to mimic the 3.55 and try it out before you decide.

Have a 383 with 8 3/4 3.23 sure grip.Will I notice a big difference going to 3.55's or is it not worth it? If so or if I go to the next lower gear ratio where is a good place to look for the gears. Thanks

I went the other way last year and can say the 3,23 is much more friendly at highway speeds. The 3.55 was fun for the holeshots, but running to cruises and shows at 70 MPH was putting a hurtin on the gas allowance. Now gas is another buck per gallon, I don't miss the lower gears at all. I guess it depends on the type on driving you have in mind.

I put 3.55 in my gTx...Now i,m building up a 4.10 gearset...Bought my gears from a guy here on the forum...Randys ring and pinion has pretty good prices...Ebay is also a decent place to buy a set...The 3.55 is good for everyday driving...I can do almost 100 mph in secound gear...All the 4 speed performance cars came with 4.10,s..My buddy has 4.10 in his 66 belvedere..I drove his and liked it...I think i,ll be happy with the 4.10s..
Petty Blue 67 gTx

Not a lot of difference. Post some specifics manual or auto. Whats the intended use short trips or long hauls? Once a year strip trip or every other weekend? Fill us in and we can make some good sugestions. How tall are your tires? I have 4.10s and wish I had a 4 speed instead of a 727.Winds up down the highway.

Guessing you want to launch better or are you looking for a stop light warrior?

What tranny do you have?

Any mods?

You ask a specific question, but give nothing for us to build on. Like the saying goes, 'The devil is in the details'.

Let me put it this way, I have a vette w/3:07 gears and I can beat another vette w/3:55's in the 1/4 and no I would not waste my gas in the 1/8th. His engine is stock and mine is modded and he takes me everytime on the launch and I always pass him just before the finish. What I mean is there a lot of ways to be quicker, but to get back to your question, some engines might like the 3:55's and some might not, depends on cam, a high rpm cam would not benefit from gears and a low to midrange cam would like the gears.
Best thing I can ever tell you is to do research, I seen more people buy parts and then findout the car did not perform like they thought it would.

Not a lot of difference. Post some specifics manual or auto. Whats the intended use short trips or long hauls? Once a year strip trip or every other weekend? Fill us in and we can make some good sugestions. How tall are your tires? I have 4.10s and wish I had a 4 speed instead of a 727.Winds up down the highway.

Either way unless you have an OD you will still be at 1 to 1 in high gear. The gear vendor trans is a nice option but even at these prices you can still buy a whole bunch of high test for the price of the conversion.

Thanks for the quick replies. Sorry should have mentioned it has a 727 with shift kit,running 275/60/15's. I am mostly local and if I go to cruise nights or shows they are usually local. I may do a 100 mile round trip once or twice a year. Yes,kinda looking for a better launch.

Thanks for the quick replies. Sorry should have mentioned it has a 727 with shift kit,running 275/60/15's. I am mostly local and if I go to cruise nights or shows they are usually local. I may do a 100 mile round trip once or twice a year. Yes,kinda looking for a better launch.

If you want the better holeshot and are buying or setting up a new rear, I would go up to 3.91 and stay out of the fast lane for your 1 highway trip. It does suck to have Hondas and the like blowing by you at 70+ mph, but oh well. My 3.55 carrier took a dump on me thats why I went down to 3.23s. Local cruise around here is 35 miles one way via the interstate. I can keep out of the secondarys under 3000 rpm. I was afraid of the gearing but with my combo, 383+ .030,10.5/1, 484 purpleshaft, 727,245r60-15, it didn't hurt the low end. It will still roast the tires and grab a nice second gear.

Those tires are kinda tall so the 3.55's will probably help. I'm one that throws a lot of gear at my cars but I was mostly in town and whenever I wanted to go out on the highway for extended runs, I threw in some 2.76's. Once you do the swap a few times, you get fast at it :D

Those tires are kinda tall so the 3.55's will probably help. I'm one that throws a lot of gear at my cars but I was mostly in town and whenever I wanted to go out on the highway for extended runs, I threw in some 2.76's. Once you do the swap a few times, you get fast at it :D

Seems like everytime I pull out the 3rd member I end up smelling like 90w for a week!LOL. Haven't had to do it since I got the lift, should make it easier next time.

Is there something in between 3.55 and 3.91 ?

3.73 but I'm not sure if those are available for all the cases...

Dang;I just switched from -.23's to -.55's. I'm running a 29" tall tire,but did notice a difference. Still driving slow to break in the bearings;I'll let you know how it feels when I do hammer it. Really thought about installing the 3.91 set sitting in the garage;hey,there is another case awaiting a rebuild... Figured that the 3.55's would provide a nice balance. We'll see.

I'm not sure if Ma offered a 3.73;like Cranky said,they may not be available for all cases,and even the aftermarket may not cover them all.

I went from 3.55 to a 3.23 in my 69 GTS and noticed a difference. Gear ratio is measured with a 26" tall tire so as mentioned going with 3.55's will be good.

I have the same size tires as you, but with a 4-speed. I recently went from 3.23 to 3.91 for the quicker takeoff. Huge difference. At 60 MPH my rpm's went from 2400 to 3100, but I like the end result. I can say I wont be cruising down the freeway at 80 with this car anymore, but it sure is a blast in town. When I was researching the swap I thought 3.73 would have been the best compromise, but these are not and were not ever made by Chrysler. There is a vendor that makes them, but I ended up finding a complete suregrip third member at a swap meet with the 3.91. This way I can always stick my original setup back in easily if I want to.

Dang;I just switched from -.23's to -.55's. I'm running a 29" tall tire,but did notice a difference. Still driving slow to break in the bearings;I'll let you know how it feels when I do hammer it. Really thought about installing the 3.91 set sitting in the garage;hey,there is another case awaiting a rebuild... Figured that the 3.55's would provide a nice balance. We'll see.

I'm not sure if Ma offered a 3.73;like Cranky said,they may not be available for all cases,and even the aftermarket may not cover them all.
More important to follow a breakin procedure for new gears than it is for the bearings. Ball and roller bearings can be operated at full speed right out of the box.

I went from 3.55 to a 3.23 in my 69 GTS and noticed a difference. Gear ratio is measured with a 26" tall tire so as mentioned going with 3.55's will be good.
Oh yeah, you'll notice a difference. If you do the math, it's about a 10% change which is easily noticed....

All the 4 speed performance cars came with 4.10,s..My buddy has 4.10 in his 66 belvedere...
Are you sure about this? I have read somewhere that the 4.10 wasn't available until '69. I do know that not all performance 4 speeds came with 4.10. The Track Pack option was 3.54, Super Track Pack was 4.10.

Auto Transport Service
Back