• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.73 in..3.23 out!

jeepthrills01

Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
So I got the first 10 mile break in done..auburn LS 489 case 3.73 gear with crush sleeve eliminator, all new bearings and gears.
gentle throttle, suburbia traffic. No whine..no noise.
For those with USGear/Richmond gearsets..if it was going to make noise.. will it develop as I rack up miles, or is it more instantaneous and gets worse?

So I got the first 10 mile break in done..auburn LS 489 case 3.73 gear with crush sleeve eliminator, all new bearings and gears.
gentle throttle, suburbia traffic. No whine..no noise.
For those with USGear/Richmond gearsets..if it was going to make noise.. will it develop as I rack up miles, or is it more instantaneous and gets worse?
I've had great results with US Gear.. Set up close to twenty sets of them back when you could get them... And would love to get more but they are no longer available..
Richmond? I've never had a set that ran quiet.... Tried twice, won't do it again..

This was an new old set of gears...iirc they were USG...honestly I don't remember.. I bought a "rebuilt hog head" that wasn't set up....at all.... last year for like 500 bucks.Added DrDiffs CSE and a new set of Timkens all around.

Went through 2 sets of Richmond’s and several setups by a shop and they were just noisy and noisier. Had another shop put in a set of US Gear and it whined on decell. Immediately pulled them out and set them up myself to fix the coast side profile and now I have just a bit of float whine (low throttle cruise) but only over a 3 to 4 mile range. But I can tickle the gas and I’m out of it. I suspect if I had set the US Gears up myself the first time they would be completely quiet. If your gears are going to whine they will do it as soon as the oil temperature gets up to normal. But you have to test under light acceleration, coast down and cruise ( float) at all speed ranges to make sure.

Going to let it cool till tonight...(it's 102 right now)...do another 15 miles and park it. Tomorrow do one AM, one PM...that should be it on the short trips?
So 4 times heat/cool...then 500 miles of gentle driving before burnouts n donuts?

That's the same ratio I went with. Seemed like a great trade-off. Do you have a 727? If so, what's
your rear tire size and RPM @ 60mph? THNX!

Small block /904
28" tire (275/60/15 on 8" rim)
Literally just finished putting it together this morning...no highway till after the short trips are done.

That's the same ratio I went with. Seemed like a great trade-off. Do you have a 727? If so, what's
your rear tire size and RPM @ 60mph? THNX!
If it helps, mine has 3.73/727/28"tires. Turns approx. 2800 at 60, with a custom 9.5" converter that flashes close to 4000 but slips very little even at slower speeds.

So...original question....is the recommendation 4 short easy trips or what?

I have never heard anything about 4 easy trips, just to take it easy for the first 500 miles. In my experience, if they are going to be noisy, it will happen right away from the get go.

Doesn't take long to trash a new set of gears...I know..

Hence my apprehension in "just drive it 500 miles".

There are several internet references that say limit first few trips to 15 miles then let the oil cool...followed with "do this several times".

Auto Transport Service
Back