• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.90 vs 3.73 gears

33 IMP is right on the money, I changed from 3.23 to 3.55's cuz cuz I always thought that it was a better street gear.... Wasn't worth the effort, it was barely noticeable on the street. I'd go for 3.90's or more.

my bad now 355 gear at 60 mph is dead on 200 rpm
so im going to buy the 390.hehehe
will be posting a smoke show soon as I install them , hopefully I can do it Saturday morning

Did anybody even ask what rear-end you have? I guess we all assumed an 8 3/4?
Beware! There is a version of pumpkin style rear that was used in light duty (Slant six) applications that used a 8 3/4 housing but had an 8 1/4 carrier. I think they were used earlier than your 67, but I'm not sure. Of course, 8 3/4 gears won't work without changing the carrier.
This is NOT the same as the later 8 1/4,with the removable rear cover. Them both being 8 1/4 causes confusion.
To my knowledge, there are no gears available for a pumpkin style 8 1/4.

Last edited:
its 8.25 from a 81 diplomat , I took the p.s ,the brakes , the diff and put it on the belvedere.
I fab a brake booster to fit in the hole , the power brakes are crazy good, stops on a dime. Can lock em up in fractions of a second.the diplomat was old cop detective cop car. have the 11 inch brakes in the rear.
It s my daily driver , I drive it anywhere park it downtown .Few years ago drove 7 hours down to New Hamphire . Old man skateboard trip , 4 skaters and loaded truck , blasting through the Adirondacks . she just loves it , twin webers headers , great trip . turning heads every where we go she so pretty .

its 8.25 from a 81 diplomat , I took the p.s ,the brakes , the diff and put it on the belvedere.
I fab a brake booster to fit in the hole , the power brakes are crazy good, stops on a dime. Can lock em up in fractions of a second.the diplomat was old cop detective cop car. have the 11 inch brakes in the rear.
It s my daily driver , I drive it anywhere park it downtown .Few years ago drove 7 hours down to New Hamphire . Old man skateboard trip , 4 skaters and loaded truck , blasting through the Adirondacks . she just loves it , twin webers headers , great trip . turning heads every where we go she so pretty .
That's the Salisbury version then. No worries.

yep 2500 stall . can't wait to get it done , now might need to adjust transmission shift point
with the springs on the governor , the thing is have to remove a section of the exhaust to do it.

took a few tries on shims , but got it like this . went around the block a few times .
was spinning the tires .goping to take it on the highway tomorrow .had some other things to do on her. Today pissing with rain so she sleeps inside

IMG_0503.jpg IMG_0504.jpg

I bought the preform tool , the instructions are so bad , and the pictures illustrating are awful, you'd think in this day in age they would have at least a better picture on the web site. Nope is an even worse copy of the one they supply .

Auto Transport Service
Back