• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

30yrs ago, when I was studly!

I haven't flown since I retired in 2011. Having spent the majority of my life crewing on USAF transports, and commercial trips, I haven't stepped foot on one. I have 10500 flying hours to my credit and that is enough I thinks. Therefore, I will mainly travel via train if I decide to go somewhere or drive. Flying isn't what it used to be, and most of the airlines are so poorly run and managed, that I question the safety of their operations...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Train? Now that takes some balls

excellent comparison - you are so right. A few years ago some Incredible Hulk was seated next to me on a flight. - I mean this guy was at least 6’-6” and I would guess was way over 300 lbs. He not only occupied his seat but half of mine and his upper torso was so thick his shoulder were literally a foot farther out then mine. I’m not big but not small at 6’2” with wide shoulders. My shoulders were literally wedged behind his even with me leaning away from him and pinned against the outer fuselage wall. Leg room - no way around it his thighs were firmly planted against mine with mine wedged against the side of the seat. I was wedged there debating if to get off - only hesitating because my wife was seated in another row and I couldn’t see her or communicate with her. What ever happened to getting joint seating assignments I don’t know. About the time I decided I need to get out and off, they closed the door and started to back out. What a miserable flight - so pissed I didn’t bail and swore I would never sit through that again. Airlines are definitely the Greyhound bus of today.

As long as he didn't put his hand on your knee

If God wanted me to fly I'd have wings, I prefer ground transportation, hope I never get on a plane.
I like seeing things too, not on mass transportation, I'm not a people person, I'd probably be pissed before the plane left the ground or bus door closed.

I did a fair share of flying too over the years. About 1,000,000 flight miles, don't know how many HOURS that was, I always took very fast JETS, not the slow-pokey C-130 prop planes. (well, there were some of those too, I guess). Longest trips were about 4,500 miles in the air, a real pain in the A$$. I'm done with that now thankfully, but it might be nice to go on a winter vacation somewhere warm once in a while though. Guess I'm stuck in the continental US now, since I don't want to get on a plane again. I'm good with driving and taking my time getting wherever I'm going. No Hurries, no more.

The problem with the roads in the USA is they are getting really crowded and the drivers are getting worse and worse...
Not sure whats expected when hundreds of thousands of " new" people find there way into America every month, and the Drivers license manuals are in 63 languages....
Glad I am old....

Last flight I took.Wife and I gout the emergency door seats.
I will definitely do that again , every time I fly. The seats have so much more room I was amazed

Used to have to fly almost every other week or so, not always glad to say, but usually at least monthly to our biz operations anywhere from Boston to Phoenix to Portland to Miami. Most of that was before 911. I DON'T miss the circus it was catching connecting flights, running through airports, delayed or cancelled flights, red eye flights, renting a car to get to a destination cuz da flight was cancelled, the friggin packing for the week, carrying a heavy laptop, files, suit bag, renting cars in countless cities then figuring out the directions. Couple flights I do have fond memories being the only passenger on the plane and the pilot inviting me to sit in the cockpit during the flight, and sitting with some knockout stewardesses sitting around me feeding me free cocktails on a midnight flight; was still cute then, lol. As I look back on those **** show days though, I really don’t know how I put up with it for the years I did it. Was much younger then and da salary was good...

Between traffic to get to the airport, going through TSA, getting there at least an hour early, boarding & flight delays, running through the airport to catch a connecting flight and inconsiderate passengers, Flying is just too stressful today.

My wife, understanding my reluctance to put up with this crap and fly anymore has been looking for deals on first class seats figuring we can sit together with less crowding and less chance of abuse. It also covers most of the things they charge for now anyway but still is a premium price. But every thing we’ve booked since spring of 2020 has been canceled or we canceled due to the Wuhan. It doesn’t take much for me to back out of flying anymore.

I would gladly pay extra for a "big and tall" seat on a flight, as long as it's not double or close.

Even though I'm "only" 6'3" and 190#, the extra room and possibility of what's described above would be worth it.

They could have rows where there's 2 seats in the normal space for 3.
Each passenger could split the cost of the lost third passenger.
(and if there is no other passenger in that row, the airline is not losing money based on that seat being wide)

Would also be nice to have a bit more leg room.

They call that "First Class" Perhaps you've heard of it?

Used to have to fly almost every other week or so, not always glad to say, but usually at least monthly to our biz operations anywhere from Boston to Phoenix to Portland to Miami. Most of that was before 911. I DON'T miss the circus it was catching connecting flights, running through airports, delayed or cancelled flights, red eye flights, renting a car to get to a destination cuz da flight was cancelled, the friggin packing for the week, carrying a heavy laptop, files, suit bag, renting cars in countless cities then figuring out the directions. Couple flights I do have fond memories being the only passenger on the plane and the pilot inviting me to sit in the cockpit during the flight, and sitting with some knockout stewardesses sitting around me feeding me free cocktails on a midnight flight; was still cute then, lol. As I look back on those **** show days though, I really don’t know how I put up with it for the years I did it. Was much younger then and da salary was good...

Your describing my life... Accept I'm not much younger.... And I don't bring suits, I bring tools...

Kids, dogs and unidentifiable moving objects. Domestic feels like international travel. It’s a ******* zoo.
1427FDFA-98C9-4F93-B495-981A5A0D9866.png
F061E48D-3DD5-4D3E-882F-39F15A6163CC.png

Your describing my life... Accept I'm not much younger.... And I don't bring suits, I bring tools...
Agree hey, bringing tools is a bigger beeitch. Flew with some guys that did this. When I load up my truck to bring all the tools I can think of I’ll need going to one of my kids houses or to friends to work on one project or another, gets heavy and invariably I FORGET some tools I could a used. Back when, in my prior chapter, had to wear suits/ties every day and that **** got heavy for a week or more worth of duding up. Btw the laptop (those older ones were hefty adding stacks of files stuffed in that bag) and luggage bags hanging from my shoulders running through airports for years wonder if that resulted in my neck fusion. But after digging 19 post holes building our deck that feeling of a broken spring in my neck finally took the cake. This was after I started my biz…wish I’d a filed a work comp claim before I departed. Lol

I also said I didn't want to pay double.

Enjoy Florida Dennis. I , like Bill, have spent MANY hours in the "tube 'O pain". My desire to board an airplane is just about ZERTO, particularly these days. That "shine" of travel was tarnished with 9/11. I used to walk in any major airports IN THE WORLD with a .38 or 9mm under my arm with no questions asked. Now I am criminally suspect the minute I set foot on the property. I resent being treated the way I am now. I don't "expect" nor do I even look for any special treatment, I just resent the hell out of the fact a couple of radical deranged fucked up rag heads caused so much FEAR in everyone that life has come to this.
If it is fear you want, drop a Nuke on the next mother ******* country some radical comes from and tell the the world the next one will be for you if you don't clean up your **** because AMERICA will not be taking this **** ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!
You want One World? BE THAT ******* WORLD THEN!

Auto Transport Service
Back