• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 cylinder 8 rough

Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
Is this cylinder boreable in your opinion?
CE3CB07C-005D-4765-9EAC-E4B7770796B6.jpeg
569F617F-D275-47CE-9B37-4F921FB597E3.jpeg

No, almost certain it will require a sleeve...

No offense intended but I don't see where a 318 is worth that kind of expense to rebuild. You can still find good running 318's pretty cheap. I've an '89 with just over 100,000 on it that runs perfect, uses no oil. I'd be hard pressed to get $300 for it still running in the car. I'd find one like that, put a timing chain in it, clean it up, paint it and go.

I was planning on rebuilding the 318, taking into consideration what type of work was needed.

Unless you need to have numbers matching for whatever reason, I would have to agree with peabodyracin that the cost of the rebuild would be much much greater than that a good/great running 318 and a lot fewer man hours involved.

The engine was seized right? Don't not break your head trying to repair that, use new sleeves.
Correct, seized.
No offense intended but I don't see where a 318 is worth that kind of expense to rebuild. You can still find good running 318's pretty cheap. I've an '89 with just over 100,000 on it that runs perfect, uses no oil. I'd be hard pressed to get $300 for it still running in the car. I'd find one like that, put a timing chain in it, clean it up, paint it and go.
This is my first endeavor into any type of rebuild. Thanks for the advice.

Unless you need to have numbers matching for whatever reason, I would have to agree with peabodyracin that the cost of the rebuild would be much much greater than that a good/great running 318 and a lot fewer man hours involved.
I was planning on putting a 318 back in there, but will now rethink my original plan for a 383. Thanks for the input.

Auto Transport Service
Back