• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 la horsepower

I had a 72 charger 318 904 did headers and header mufflers, l dont think it got any faster but it sounded bad a$$. Got lucky and was given a 68 318 I built it over the next 3 or 4 months on the floor of my garage, no stand. Had the block cleaned, honed, new cam bearings and freeze plugs. stock heads, valve job orig. springs. Now got a edelbrock single plain 600 holley and crane fireball cam. ran good but the combo was all wrong with stock gears. I did get this engine in a 70 Challenger, and the much needed 8 3/4 with a spool and 456s and some sticky mickys into the low 13s on motor and 12.80s with an NOS power shot Cars weight was 3030 lbs with me in it. So with that being said bone stock lower end and heads the right cam, duel plain intake, small 4 bbl, headers and 2 1/4 duels with good mufflers and 3.55 gears is a nice running street car. And I would start with the gears and work forwards.

I had a 79 R/T Aspen with the police E-58 360. Stock, it was a dog. Crane fireball cam with lifters, new basic intake, eliminated the lean burn p.o.s. ignition and did a Mopar regular electronic ignition and holley 600 carb, headers...WOW! what a difference! Cam, IMO, is a MUST!

cam...plenty of choices..but make that choice depending on how you plan to run this car for the majority of operation and also on the very exhaust you plan to run...recommend split duration if running stock manifolds..headers allow straight grind..many opinion of camshafts..this is just mine..remember performance cams are ground for power in X rpm band...how often you going to be there to develop that power...trade off is usually less ponies on tap with the HP cam in street cars driven to and fro due to being in the lower RPMs

Auto Transport Service
Back