• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 New Intake Manifold Question

B3vedere267

Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
I have a 318 I am doing some work on. I am getting ready to install a new 4 barrel intake manifold. The heads look like the below on the ports.

06FE4DDE-78E5-4816-A6CD-13E5B8CADF20.jpeg

The manifold does not have the port for the “J” portion of the head. It is an air gap manifold. This is alright correct? I am new to mopar motors and wanted to be sure. Picture of I take manifold below.
BD66C62A-3A4D-42E9-950D-648FFC924860.jpeg

If it's what you're referring to, that's the heat crossover passage, and the intake has it blocked off. We used to have quite a number of heat passages caked up from carbon that blocked it off back in the day. Are you using an electric choke ?

If it's what you're referring to, that's the heat crossover passage, and the intake has it blocked off. We used to have quite a number of heat passages caked up from carbon that blocked it off back in the day. Are you using an electric choke ?

I haven’t researched what carb I would like to go with at this point. Would electric choke be a better option than manual choke?

I have a 318 I am doing some work on. I am getting ready to install a new 4 barrel intake manifold. The heads look like the below on the ports.

View attachment 1223656

The manifold does not have the port for the “J” portion of the head. It is an air gap manifold. This is alright correct? I am new to mopar motors and wanted to be sure. Picture of I take manifold below.
View attachment 1223657
The port looking area is the heat riser port and if it's blocked off it's OK. A electric choke works and the heatrisersystom is unnecessary.. The horseshoe shaped port is just for cooling the area and will show with your new intake installed. No worries there.

The intake has larger ports than the heads..... so you should do some port matching if you want the airflow to be decent. Air doesn't like to flow over steps very well.

The intake has larger ports than the heads..... so you should do some port matching if you want the airflow to be decent. Air doesn't like to flow over steps very well.
For what he is doing his motor won’t know the difference. The port mismatch isn’t anything to be concerned about. Make sure u use the fiber gaskets, not the tin ones. Kim

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back