• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318A to 361B Engine Swap - ‘62 Dodge 440

Robert Barber

Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
Looking at swapping the 318A for a 361 in a ‘62 Dodge. Will bolt right up? Do I need to modify the k-member? What are the details that I need to know to swap these out?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,
You will need the big block motor mounts, the big block transmission (different bolt pattern), radiator MAY work, rework the engine wiring harness and of course a different exhaust system. Those are the major systems involved in this swap. For the small increase in size the better plan may be to rebuild what you have. The poly is a solid engine and can be stroked for more torque also. Good luck and happy Thanksgiving too!
Mike

Mike is always a wealth of information with this sort of question. I'd thought of a couple other things that may be relevant. The 62 K member had a unique engine mount setup. In my experience the mounts and brackets required to accomplish this swap are a bit tough to find. Most of that vintage I've messed with have had the K member switched to a 63-65 V8 unit for which mounts and brackets are much easier to find. The current throttle cable might be a little short on length.

Cable shift automatics for big blocks are getting pretty hard to find. Then you have to find a transmission guy who knows them, assuming it'll need a rebuild. Don't forget the kick down linkage! You might be able to modify what's on the 318 to work. The early converters are different and I seem to recall some crank flange differences around this time frame too, so you'll need to do some careful comparing of the parts you're trying to put together. Perhaps someone here can chime in on this one.

Your car should still have that wonderful ball and trunion setup where the transmission connects to the drive shaft. There were a couple different sizes of those depending on the engine originally in the car. Finding parts to rebuild that unit is a treat. The easier solution in my opinion would be a slip yoke automatic, but finding a slip yoke, cable shift, big block automatic will be a real challenge.

I've been trying to line up parts to put a big block/automatic in a 62 Belvedere which already has the different K member in it. So engine mounts were not an issue for me. I've decided to just go with a later 727, use an aftermarket floor shifter and change the drive shaft out. Best wishes on your project!

Cable shift automatics for big blocks are getting pretty hard to find.
Isn't really just the case you need?? Not that that makes it much easier, but I do believe it's true that all parts from a good working small block cable shift trans will work just fine in a standard duty big block case, including all hard parts, valve body, and rear housing/shafts, etc. And there are still options to beef them up, either one.

Looking at swapping the 318A for a 361 in a ‘62 Dodge. Will bolt right up? Do I need to modify the k-member? What are the details that I need to know to swap these out?

Thanks

Chris
Why?
The snarky response would have been, "you know they also made a 350 big block, right?"
At the least do a 383 or a 400.

Before you do anything make sure your car doesn't use the '61 motor mounts.. my 62 has the 61 motor mounts and trans crossmember which are completely different.. (and it is stock, no one swapped it at some point..)
1701349629173.jpeg

There were early and late versions of '62's. On the early cars, the motors used the pictured '61-style mounts that bolted flat to the crossmember. The later '62's had the V-type mounts and crossmember like the '63-'65. On the V-type mounts, the rubber insulator from the 318 mounts can be used with the proper steel big block engine brackets. For the flat mounts, I would try a set from '60-'61 Chrysler. They were all big blocks.
I did this same change on a 1962 Dart that I owned in 1967. My car had the early flat crossmember. Back then, I just had to go to my local Chrysler dealer to get the mounts. It is not quite as easy now. Maybe reach out to parts dealers that specialize in the earlier cars like Chrysler 300F &H. Andy Bernbaum comes to mind.

Why?
The snarky response would have been, "you know they also made a 350 big block, right?"
At the least do a 383 or a 400.
I don’t understand what you are getting at here…I’m considering a 361 because it’s for sale nearby for cheap, bolted up to a cable shift TQ. I’m polling to see how difficult/expensive it’s going to be to get the car setup for a BB. If it can be done quickly and somewhat economical I will do it with the intent of upgrading in the future. If not then I won’t… which is why I am asking this question on this forum.

I don’t understand what you are getting at here…I’m considering a 361 because it’s for sale nearby for cheap, bolted up to a cable shift TQ. I’m polling to see how difficult/expensive it’s going to be to get the car setup for a BB. If it can be done quickly and somewhat economical I will do it with the intent of upgrading in the future. If not then I won’t… which is why I am asking this question on this forum.
Because some people just instantly run to the bigger is better and not what you want to do so people become dicks in an instant and bash your choice. It does t matter who’s right, who’s wrong and what you want to do, cheap, expensive, simple, complex, just get over it and remember, most people like to internet spend your money, make bad choices for you, make your life more difficult because there idiots.

They aren’t really helping are they.

This leads me to a saying… and it is super true…

Most people are dicks.

Because some people just instantly run to the bigger is better and not what you want to do so people become dicks in an instant and bash your choice. It does t matter who’s right, who’s wrong and what you want to do, cheap, expensive, simple, complex, just get over it and remember, most people like to internet spend your money, make bad choices for you, make your life more difficult because there idiots.

They aren’t really helping are they.

This leads me to a saying… and it is super true…

Most people are dicks.
Tell the truth! I don’t understand why people waste their time (and mine/ours) to get on a forum, cut down and dissect ideas and don’t offer any meaningful help…if you don’t have anything constructive to offer - it’s easy - just don’t comment. If you can help - please do. If I had a 440 or 383, I wouldn’t be asking about a 361… it just so happens that there is one with the right transmission that is cheap and close by so I was considering snatching it up and throwing it in the car so I could keep driving it with minimum downtime. But I guess that doesn’t make sense???

Does it have all the accessories on it?
Check the orientation of the radiator hoses.
The driveshaft might need to be shortened as well.
Nothing wrong with a 361.

If the transmission is indeed on it you might be able to rig it and do a compression test before you go and install it.

Last edited:
I don’t understand what you are getting at here
I can only assume what he meant was that you should be careful to not work in a more obsolete engine than you already have (but I wont try and put words in his mouth). Going to a big block is golden, almost a no brainer..... However, a 361 (and the 350 he mentioned) are both pretty impossible to deal with down the road if you should ever need to bore and re-piston the engine. A 383, and especially the 400 are better candidates for a solution, down the road, and they bolt in, just the same. I guess he just assumed that you would understand that....not really being a smarta$$ or anything, as far as I can see. I do understand that something you already have, of course looks more economical from the get-go.

Because:
1. a 361 is heavier (barely?) than any other Mopar low block other than the rare 350
2. Same about its lower power output
3. It has little respect
4. Not sure anyone looking under the hood can spot a 361 vs any other low deck Mopar
5. Its resale/desirability value will never match the bigger blocks
6. Any larger BB will bolt to cable shift TF I believe
7. I read this 361 was a motor you were considering buying, you had not acquired it yet
8. You can't ask others what is "Cheap" or "economical" or "quickly" online without getting disagreement, etc, its very subjective.

For the others that have are hurting from I guess getting their "dicks" smacked, grow up.

Last edited:
Looks like we got things stirred up a bit over this subject. Now that we have enough info on your situation to be able to provide more relevant opinions, it seems you’re on the right track. Having the transmission changes things for the easier. I see no reason why you wouldn’t want to buy the setup you’ve found and go for it.

I swapped my poly 318 for a 383.
'62 had a V8 (sb or bb) or slant 6 k-frame.
The steel mounts that bolt to the k-frame look the same, may be slightly different as far as alignment for moving engine forward or back.
Iirc the rubber biscuits were the same.
The steel mounts that bolt to the engine are bb specific, but look a lot like the 318 mounts.
I ordered the bb mount kit from Schumacher, before they went belly up, pic below.
Need the correct oil pan, 971, and pickup.

20190106_172506.jpg

Use big block steel engine brackets. They will bolt to your 318 Poly rubber insulators and steel frame brackets. Easy peasey.

Mike is always a wealth of information with this sort of question. I'd thought of a couple other things that may be relevant. The 62 K member had a unique engine mount setup. In my experience the mounts and brackets required to accomplish this swap are a bit tough to find. Most of that vintage I've messed with have had the K member switched to a 63-65 V8 unit for which mounts and brackets are much easier to find. The current throttle cable might be a little short on length.

Cable shift automatics for big blocks are getting pretty hard to find. Then you have to find a transmission guy who knows them, assuming it'll need a rebuild. Don't forget the kick down linkage! You might be able to modify what's on the 318 to work. The early converters are different and I seem to recall some crank flange differences around this time frame too, so you'll need to do some careful comparing of the parts you're trying to put together. Perhaps someone here can chime in on this one.

Your car should still have that wonderful ball and trunion setup where the transmission connects to the drive shaft. There were a couple different sizes of those depending on the engine originally in the car. Finding parts to rebuild that unit is a treat. The easier solution in my opinion would be a slip yoke automatic, but finding a slip yoke, cable shift, big block automatic will be a real challenge.

I've been trying to line up parts to put a big block/automatic in a 62 Belvedere which already has the different K member in it. So engine mounts were not an issue for me. I've decided to just go with a later 727, use an aftermarket floor shifter and change the drive shaft out. Best wishes on your project!
As far as the ball and trunion goes you could have the driveshaft rebuilt with a slip joint and new universal joint. Just bolt it up after removing the trunion

Auto Transport Service
Back