• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

360 or 440?

19Charger74

Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
I have a problem in my life right now and i need some advice. My problem is i cant decide if i want to put a 440ci engine in my car or leave the 360LA engine.

Its a 1974 Charger that runs great but i would like to get some more ponies out of it. I'm leaning towards building a nice small block up because i have the right engine mounts, brackets,transmission,drive shaft,dual exhaust and i don't have to cut out my inner fender for headers on a 440 if it was to go in.

I would like to get some decent kind of fuel mileage from the car, good handling, power and a 1/4mile time of atleast 12.5 seconds.

my 440 is a 74 casting with 68 to 70 r/t 906 open chamber heads.
the 360 is a 76 to 86 engine with 576 heads.

Any advice on what would be great

I had a 360 in my 74 Charger, and although it was nice, it really needed a 440. I compromised with a 3:91, but milage went out the window. The charger weighs in around 5k lbs, so my suggestion would be to go with the 440.

Mileage AND 12.50s? There is no simple answer for that.

and by the way, there's nothing special about your 906 heads. Same head was used on a 383 2V

Two best ways to get better fuel mileage and keep good power are to put in an overdrive and/or fuel injection, in my opinion. Neither is cheap.

The B-body car is no lightweight so it needs the torque of the bigblock. 440 al the way. Ron

Summit Racing sells a Blueprint Engines crate 360 with 375 hp and 460 ft-lbs of torque. $3,800 for a long block, $5,300 with intake, carb, distributor, fuel pump, coil, wires, and plugs. Lift is a reasonable .506, camshaft duration is 233/240 at .050 lift. Looks like a possibility to me. Paint it to look factory and nobody will know until they see your taillights!

74' Charger:weg::weg: 440! Better off with 915's vs. 906 (quench --- closed chamber----higher compression)

As mentioned above, 12.50's AND decent mileage is not going to happen unless you spend cubic $$$$ or buy a computer controlled aerodynamic reissue muscle car - more cubic $$$$.

Here's breaking down your request mathematically:

12.50 ET should be around a 108 MPH trap speed http://members.tripod.com/fast_wheels/1-4speed.htm

Your car weighs (according some info on the web) 3700 lbs. Add you and gas that could end up near 4000 lbs. - so lets say 4000 lbs.

I rearranged the late the late Roger Huntington's formula - MPH = 224 (hp/weight)1/3 to get HP: HP = lbs (MPH/224) ^3. ^3 means cubed.

108 / 224 = .4821. .4821 ^3 = .112. .112 x 4000 = 448 HP. My guess that's applied rear wheel HP and that translates to a healthy engine. You will also need to have the suspension set up for 1/4 mile performance and that means low gears and higher cruise RPM's. None of which are gas mileage friendly.

For approximate fuel usage based on HP I think I can use some marine calculations for brake specific fuel consumption. I get .4-.45 lbs of fuel per hour per HP. Fuel weighs about 6 lbs / gal, so at peak HP (448) you will use 33.6 gals of fuel per hour. Naturally, part throttle freeway cruising will use much less fuel and I think I'll just let some mathematician come up with that answer.

X2 there's no re-placement for dis-placement!!!!!!! :tongueflap: BTW thanks for the breakdown Dr. Meep!:yes:

Its a 1974 Charger that runs great but i would like to get some more ponies out of it. I'm leaning towards building a nice small block up because i have the right engine mounts, brackets,transmission,drive shaft,dual exhaust

I vote 360.....Let me go my usual route, which is against the grain the masses "440 it" thinking.
In your above quote is a perfect reason to go with a 360, economics. Another is every one has a big block in a B-body....yawn :sleep:.

When I owned this wagon I ran a 360/380-HP magnum crate motor. Regular 12.50's and had dipped into the 40's.

cid_002801c66280aae1d2a0E8527D6BMAI.jpg

I vote 360.....Let me go my usual route, which is against the grain the masses "440 it" thinking.
In your above quote is a perfect reason to go with a 360, economics. Another is every one has a big block in a B-body....yawn :sleep:.

When I owned this wagon I ran a 360/380-HP magnum crate motor. Regular 12.50's and had dipped into the 40's.

cid_002801c66280aae1d2a0E8527D6BMAI.jpg

You settled for 12s.....Ha Ha:tongue:,...With a Big Block you could have gotten it to the 10s.:D

You settled for 12s.....Ha Ha:tongue:,...With a Big Block you could have gotten it to the 10s.:D

My goal was mid 12's with in my budget.....both were achieved. Building the car opposite of the usual 'sheeple' approval was icing on the cake. :tongueflap:

"Meep-Meep" Thanks for the equation on gas & 1/4 mile. Everyone has talked me into the 440 build...BUT lol i think i'll take my time with the 440 and use it for another car i'm going to buy in 2 years when college is done. 1970 under B-body that needs a big block, I want to make a 6 Pack set up. been fascinated by it lol in my books its next the HEMI in "wow" factor.

"Wagondoors" Nice wagon! i really like the station wagon cars ever since i got to drive my brother hemi magnum r/t. oh at when i worked at Chrysler assembly pl;ant in brampton a guy had a 1970 plymouth wagon with a 440 and raced some loud mouth in his nissan 350Z. 350Z lost lol to a wagon so he didnt talk to highly of his car after that. btw the looks on peoples face's when you beat BMW's or other "high costing" cars in a Magnum wagon is Priceless. Do you know how much you car weighs?

I think my 68 Satellite wagon (9 pass, luggage rack, 440+6) weighed 4580 empty

Auto Transport Service
Back