• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

361 resurrection

mtbase

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
I'm rescuing a 66 Coronet 500 and trying to stay original. The 361 was left outside for years and water got into the cylinders. I'm going to punch them out .040" to get through the rust and need to find a set of pistons. Trying to keep a budget in mind for this project ( that still has a long way to go), so I'm asking if anyone has a set to sell or a good lead for them.

Should be "F" for 361 in 1966.

"F" is for 361 in 66..."E" is 318....and pistons for a 361 are very hard to come up with, and not cheap either

Those old 361 blocks will probably take enough overbore to just drop in a standard size 383 piston. And those will be much easier to come by.

I have heard they won't, otherwise pistons for the 361 would not be the price they are today

There is not enough wall to bore a 361 to accept a standard bore 383 block.

I have 2 361's not shure what I'll have left after I make one good eng but there should be a set of pistons not shure what size they are though . If your interested p.m.me and when I get to it I'll take a look .

Easier and cheaper to find a good (possibly running and/or driving) 383 or 400, and just let people think it's a 361.

Hi mtbase, I have a 66 361 that I removed from my 66 Satellite. 59,000 miles, ran well. The guy that owned the car before me put a 4 barrel manifold and carb on it and I believe a mild cam. I have the original manifold and carb. The engine is complete with the front dress, Alt, Pwr St pump and exhaust manifiolds, it's very nice. If you have any interest P.M. me, Brian

Is the fifth digit on your vin a "E" ?

Fifth is "F"

- - - Updated - - -

That thought had occurred to me. 361 oversized pistons will probably be a difficult find, but "shelf" 383's should be everywheres. The 361 block IS the same block as a 383 or 440 ( the casted block ID is different ) and therefore could be bored out that far. I don't believe that it would actually be a 383 as the crank is different. It would probably be cheaper to find another 361, but this engine is original. Funny that back in 66 many of these parts ex: 2bbl carb and manifold, 361 engine, factory shifter, casted exhaust manifolds were considered as junk...and now it's jewelry, at least to me.

Kanter Auto Products has the 361 pistons available $49.61 each.

James

Fifth is "F"

- - - Updated - - -

That thought had occurred to me. 361 oversized pistons will probably be a difficult find, but "shelf" 383's should be everywheres. The 361 block IS the same block as a 383 or 440 ( the casted block ID is different ) and therefore could be bored out that far. I don't believe that it would actually be a 383 as the crank is different. It would probably be cheaper to find another 361, but this engine is original. Funny that back in 66 many of these parts ex: 2bbl carb and manifold, 361 engine, factory shifter, casted exhaust manifolds were considered as junk...and now it's jewelry, at least to me.

OK if you say so.

Tallhair...yea, I read that more than once and was thinking...WTF!!!!

Hi, You wouldn't happen to have a set of 66 Coronet 500 fender emblems....would you?

Michael

The 66 361 is the exact same block that the 383 is made from ( in that year anyways). Only the casting numbers are different. There's a HUGE wall between the pistons...more than enough to bore out to accept 383 standard pistons.

Fifth is "F"

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the 383 and 361 and possibly 400 blocks and cranks are basically the same, just different bores. Heads, intakes and exhausts should also be interchangeable. The 413, 426 and 440 blocks are different.

Boring that block out 0.130 for 383 pistons won't exactly be cheap (even if it were possible). Here ya go - cast pistons whatever size ya want for 400 smackers.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...vbGV0ZSBFbmdpbmVz&level1=MzYxIEJpZyBCbG9jaw==

- - - Updated - - -

Btw,

B blocks: 361, 383, 400 (and a really early 350)
RB blocks: 413, 426, 440 (and a really early RB383)

B blocks and RB blocks are totally different animals.

Ya can always put 8 sleeves in it.

Auto Transport Service
Back