• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ragman

Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
My '66 Charger is all stock and original It has the 361 two barrel and single exhaust. Just could need a paint job.

I can't afford to convert it to a 383.

Will a four barrel and dual exhausts make a big boost in performance or just a waste of time and money.

Then again, it is as it left the factory with 104K miles. I am tempted to leave as is.

What is your opinions?

Thanx

Ragman

Now this is just my 2 cents and thats about all it is worth.

Leave it as is unless you intend to go BIG. By big I mean stroke either what you (I would keep the motor set aside if the numbers match just cause.) have out or get another block, get good aluminum heads, a nice stroker kit, run your CR to 10.5 or close as you can and have all the work done by a competent machine shop and make some serious power or leave it alone.

Adding a new intake, carb and exhaust will probablly wake it up a little bit....but not worth the money if you ask me. The engine internals are still that of an original 2 bbl carb motor. Would only be able to get so much out of it. Definetly a case of diminishing returns.

The best bang for the buck is a OE 4bbl. (Post '71 for the spreadbore carb pad) and a small TQ carb. Jetting it lean enuff may require some AFB rods bent to fit. You'll retain good mileage and have a good kick in the secondary romp.

This is the cheapest way to go about it that I can think of. Of course, a used Edelbrock Performer would also do quite well.

The 361 can perform pretty well. Though of course the larger displacements would be much better, sometimes you just gotta work with what ya got. And if this is so with the 361, treat it like a 340.

I've had very good results with 2bbl engines converting them to a 4bbl but I always go with an aluminum intake, good carb, headers, a mild cam, good ignition and a bit higher stall if it's an automatic and 3.23's if it doesn't already have one. Letting an engine breathe is the key.....

Auto Transport Service
Back