• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 connecting rod question

wideload714

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
I am doing my first mopar engine. The connecting rods have a channel machined into it to squirt oil, but the new bushing that I received don't have a notch to match up with the " v " notch in the rod. I've tried to find pictures of bushings from different manufacturers, but they all seem like they are just a solid piece without that relief. Are these the correct bushings ? If they are correct, how does oil make it past these bushings ?

i don't think any of the bearing folks do the oil spirt hole anymore.

The oil hole has been eliminated from current rod bearings.

i don't think any of the bearing folks do the oil spirt hole anymore.

Have they got that damn lazy??

Toss in no half groove bearings, either. I filed my own notches in my 'new and improved' rod inserts.
Yeah, I know...flat old school. Must be, still 67.

Have they got that damn lazy??

No, they are trying to make as much profit as possible. To add the notches requires at least one additional process, and a cutter/grinder that needs to be maintained/adjusted by someone. Eliminate the notch and save a crap load of money.

The notches are not entirely critical today with the advances made in oil technology, and I cannot say that I can attribute any wear or damage caused by the elimination of the notch. I have seen the notches eliminated in a number of applications across the board.

It's more advances in oil control. Those were spraying oil on the cylinder walls, and it was found that too much oil is more of a problem than just enough. You don;t need the notches, or the walls oiled in that manner. Good eye for catching it tho.

When I took my Hemi apart, only one of the rods has a squirt hole. The other 7 do not. Of course, I would assume that these are not the original rods to the engine.

The crank throws plenty of oil around right from start up and the notches were never needed. Makes you wonder how a lawn mower engine lasts so long......:D

The crank throws plenty of oil around right from start up and the notches were never needed.

Guess I'll shoot myself in the foot on this one. Far as parts and pieces, if you get what you want...go for it...what matters is the results, right? New and improved oil??? Guess that depends on who you ask. And, I'll fully admit, I've been out of things for 20 years.

Notches??? Suppose my backwards ways of thinking. Cylinder walls getting oiled by crank slinging it? And, how about if your sportin' a windage tray??

As far as I know (probably not much), those notches are the main source of oiling to the cylinders. Had food for thought, while working on radial engines. Say a nine cylinder, single-row...crank has one journal serving all nine jugs. How the cylinders get oil? Because of the design, not possible to notch rods. Crank sported a spray valve, shooting a film of oil onto the cylinder walls, as it rotated.

Long story short...I'll notch, if I have to. Don't like dry parts. Back into my cave...

The windage tray is below the crank with the cylinders above the crank and the main job for the tray is to keep the 'windage' from the spinning crank from whipping oil up and out of the pan and slinging even more of it all over the place. The oil whipping up out of the pan and hitting the spinning crank helps to slow it down robbing horse power at high rpm. If anything, the piston pin needs a decent supply of oil and is why you see people that drill a small center drilled hole in the top of the rod to help direct the oil splashing off the bottom of the piston into the top of the rod. In normal driving conditions, those parts will live a good life with just a fine oil mist but in severe conditions, they need more than just a mist. I like the new engines that have spray nozzles to direct oil right at the bottom of the pistons and that's mainly for a cooling effect with the added benefit of good pin oiling. Anyways, never had any problems with burned up wrist pins, rings or cylinder walls on a Mopar. Big block Chevys now....yeah. Shut down a nicely modified 454 in a jet boat one day after a hard run and heard a nice squeak and knew exactly what that sound was lol Was just surprised it didn't spit out the rod as the pin was trying to seize up.

Auto Transport Service
Back