• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 ENGINE TAP!!!

PULL the Valve Cover. It's a simple task. Why you are still running it like that wondering what it is when you can find out by removing a hose and 6 bolts...
I did, lol that’s why I’m on here trying to figure this out. Everything looked completely fine. No shavings, rocker arms are tight and shimmed accordingly. Basically everything from lifters and up have been replaced. I’m at a loss

I did, lol that’s why I’m on here trying to figure this out. Everything looked completely fine. No shavings, rocker arms are tight and shimmed accordingly. Basically everything from lifters and up have been replaced. I’m at a loss
Why not mention that...Then more than likely you have an exhaust leak.

Sounds like the noise my 383 was making. Turned out to be a weak spring on the fuel pump. If you have a stethoscope, it is easy to check.

Why not mention that...Then more than likely you have an exhaust leak.
It’s definitely not an exhaust leak. If you’re able, watch the video I posted on this thread. It’s a pretty violent tap. I just feel if it was a lifter or something it would do it nonstop, but it sorta comes and goes and quite down after it runs for a little.

Sounds like the noise my 383 was making. Turned out to be a weak spring on the fuel pump. If you have a stethoscope, it is easy to check.
I mean if that’s the case then that would be great! Really wasn’t wanting to tear the top end down again and replace the cam

It’s definitely not an exhaust leak. If you’re able, watch the video I posted on this thread. It’s a pretty violent tap. I just feel if it was a lifter or something it would do it nonstop, but it sorta comes and goes and quite down after it runs for a little.
Fuel pump rod maybe but the rod going sounds deeper from what I am hearing.. I have heard exhaust leaks sound the same as your video. It quiets down a little cause the metal expands sealing the leak a little..

Like the guys said exhaust leaks can fool you, before you rule it out stethoscope around the exhaust flanges thoroughly...it's quick and easy.
Pull all the belts off and start it to rule out an accessory issue.

If you suspect valvetrain, fire it up and let it idle with the valve covers off, you can really zero in on any valve gear issues that way.

If you suspect the fuel pump, run the engine a minute, shut it down, then unbolt the pump and remove the rod, and start it back up. There'll be enough gas in the carb to idle without the fuel pump for long enough to verify/rule it out.

To me, over the internet, it sounds like an exhaust leak or possibly a loose bolt (crank pulley/converter etc). Oh make sure all the spark plugs are tight. Happy hunting!

With the valve cover off, unplug the ignition coil cable. With a remote starter button, slowly crank engine and observe valvetrain movement. Check pushrods while doing do.

I had one that would stop and start, was a dirty sump screen, how's oil pressure?

maybe some of that snake oil that claims to free up sticky lifters

Have you narrowed it down to a particular cylinder?

I've seen lifter noise come and go in several vehicles over the years...... but no, I wouldn't tolerate it either

just went back and watched..... I didnt see it before......that comes and goes?..... sounds like every revolution to me, almost like a converter bolt....... pull the valve cover

you'll be lucky if it's a broken rocker.....looks like it's missing to me

Hope it's not something fell in that cylinder.
Carb screw, miscellaneous bolt/ nut etc
Bouncing around

Spend a few bucks on a mechanics stethoscope.
Works way better than a screwdriver thru the ear.

Everyone thanks for the help!! Especially the few who said check the fuel pump lol. Bought a stethoscope and listened around for a few and determined it was 100% coming from the fuel pump. Will be replacing it tomorrow and will let y’all know how it goes

Auto Transport Service
Back