• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 parts help

This is something you will never know for sure until the head and piston has been removed.

Just took the head off. The side with the oil residue we leak tested.
Cast# 2843906
The piston doesn't seem to have any play. The one we leak tested. On top of the piston it says 030. I'm assuming it's been bored over .030.

Should I add diesel oil into the cylinder to confirm a leak. One of the techs recommended that for all the cylinders

So what I did was level the piston, then added transmission fluid as level as possible. Let it sit for a bit. The 4th piston on the driver side at the very end is showing a leak from underneath the pistin. Not from the piston and cylinder wall.

Also the cylinder walls still showing markings of when it was bored over

So what I did was level the piston, then added transmission fluid as level as possible. Let it sit for a bit. The 4th piston on the driver side at the very end is showing a leak from underneath the pistin. Not from the piston and cylinder wall. Maybe the rings weren't placed right?
I'm going the coolant leak is from the wrong gasket and not a crack

Also the cylinder walls still showing markings of when it was bored over

If that is the only cylinder that appears to be leaking remove the piston and find out why. You will also need to find out what pistons where installed. That information can be found on the one that needs to be removed. Also would be a good time to cheek bearing clearances on rods and mains. You should be able to determine what type rings that where installed by looking at the old ones. The head casting number 2843906 is for a passenger car 1968-1970 383-440 and should be ok for your application. It would be best to have the heads checked before using again.

Auto Transport Service
Back