• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3BBL

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
anyone running a 950 3BBL?? i got questions. been a long time since i messed with one.

Didn't even know they exist until now.

Nope. #3916 & #4604 were 950 & 1050cfm 3bbl carbs, vac sec, universal fit.

Weren't they more of a Ford thing?
Ford had always partnered with holley and I believe that the holley 3bbl and dominator carbs were a ford/holley calabaration. The first 3bbls used the LeMans float bowls. The ones we normally see now are universal carbs. Chrysler used a variant in Nascar.

I used a 3916 off and on and they drove surprisingly well. They are unique, especially with the back barrel. The boosters in the back aren't in the same location as a 4150 or 4160 type holley. They use a special metering plate and vacuum pod with no kill bleed.

The carbs listed in post #8 are a universal fit, fits any engine, & come from the Holley 1974 catalog, in the universal 3 & 4 bbl section.

While Ford & Holley had a strong connection, it was no stronger than the connection that Holley had with Chrys.
No better example than the six pack Holley carbs, specific part #s & calibrations for Chrys. There were also specific single barrel & 4 bbl carbs that Holley made for Chrys

Lol, how 'bout part of one that came in a bucket of parts. Looks like it got toasted at some point.........
1697942081959.png

1697942273801.png

1697982679553.png

1697983365681.png

Last edited:
Didn't even know they exist until now.
Carter and Holley developed 3bbl carbs for the NASCAR effort.
The secondary side was turned into an oval. Or more simply, the metal in between the two barrels was removed.
anyone running a 950 3BBL?? i got questions. been a long time since i messed with one.
Holley or Carter?

Baldwin Motion used the 950's on the 427s in their Camaros and Corvettes, and I think that Yenko used them also-not sure about that. I have an old HiPerformance Cars from 69-70, and it showed one on a 69 427 Camaro.

i was wondering what jets and spring would be good to start with.

Carter made a 3 barrel carb for the 1963 Pontiac 421 engine. Not aware of any other Carter 3 barrel carbs?

Pretty sure they cam with 80 or 81 primary jets. Thinking back I used 76 or 78 jets. The secondary metering Plate was .093" and is unique to the 3bbl. They used the orange/brown secondary spring and I never found any improvement on that. There isn't any kill bleed to the secondary and that makes a smooth transition to the secondary a little dicey. I had trouble with sucking the choke blade closed at WOT with an air cleaner on and removed the blade which is revited on (not recommending this). From my experience I think they are better suited for the larger cube engines.

The Chevy guys latched on to them with their big block rat motors. Chevy guys back then and even today shunned multi carb. Ironically I have old track test article of two 427 camaros and the dual quad version clobbered the single carb in trap speed.

Auto Transport Service
Back