• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed Console Shifter

Axemaster24

Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
I am installing a 4 speed console in my 65 coronet and started to test fit all the components last night. My first step was installing the Hurst Console shifter and shift ball. I put the shifter on, threw it in first, and hit my hand on the heater fan switch. Looks like I have about 1.5” from the ball to the switch on the dash. Would any of you guys with the 4 speed console be willing to toss your car in 1st and measure the space between your shifter ball and the heater switch then let me know? Also if you can observe if the shifter ball is above, in line, or below the switch. Currently my second knuckle is right on the switch when I’m gripping the ball.

My car has a 383 and A833 4speed out of a 69 Roadrunner. I’m thinking Of two possible scenarios as to why the shifter ball is so close to the dash and how to fix it. I have a modified tranny mount that is possibly making the transmission sit way too high, which would put the shifter closer to the dash. My other theory is I just simply need to loosen up all the bolts to the hurst shifter body and linkage then adjust it in a way that will put the shifter further from the dash.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?

Jake

Does your trans have the dual shifter mounts? It is the correct shift handle? The console style comes up and then back, Where the non console one is sort of an S shape!

It does have the correct shifter handle for a console. The shifter is mounted in the correct location, been driving the car for 20 years(with the S shape shifter). I suspect the transmission may be too close to the floor board and I need to get a proper crossmember from Brewers performance.
Or maybe I need to loosen up all the shifter components and adjust them so the shifter handle is closer to 2nd and 4th.

Knowing the measurement from someone else’s car would let me know if I need to adjust “a little bit” or look into a different crossmember. It is also possible there is a slight difference between the original shifter body and the hurst version I have. I never had the original shifter body and linkage.

i got a 70 shifter from brewers so i wouldn't have that problem, yes skinned knuckles.
now its a little better. 70 shifter has longer arms for a shorter throw.

You might try shortening the throw by changing the levers on the side case Chevvvbie had some for their 4 speeds! I think they are the same as the mopars! Dan Brewer could tell you for sure! Brewers Perf.

The easiest way would be to heat up the handle and bend it back a bit.

I found out there is a console and non-console shifter mechanism. I might do what you guys did and just bend the shifter using a torch. Sounds like I would have to replace the mechanism and the linkage for a “minor” adjustment.

Thanks guys!

Never heard of the shifter being different from console to non, but damn sure the shifter handle.

Passon performance told me the console mechanism is different. The guy told me the mechanism I have (hurst Aftermarket) wont work and I will need the mechanism that leans towards the back seat.

70D80536-6799-4EBF-BC64-B1B558921421.png

That’s because there is a “pinned” and “bolt on” shifter. The handles are the same, pinned or bolt on.

I have this one. You can see In neutral it points to the sky, my last post the shifter handle mechanism is tilted back 10-15deg or so. Passon says that is the correct part I need.

No way I’m Planning on spending $600+ though, I’ll just bend my handle with a torch. My handle is NOS though so I’m kinda gritting my teeth over this.

Hurst says my shifter is good for 65 with console so once again aftermarket vs reality might be 2 different things

8B452499-4901-4E62-B6B6-6BDF641E41D6.png

Then get a replica shifter handle and don’t sweat torching it. Also that shifter in the pic is a bolt on handle mechanism, Mopar didn’t have bolt on shifters/handle till later on, not sure of the year, but 65 definitely did not have it.

Four speed shifter in both my 65 coronet and 64 polara needed to be modified, even the original shiver was only 1 3/4 off dash cut and welded below boot no need to rechrome, know I have 3” I can shoot some pics sat

Ps I have 66 trans in both first yr for spline I thought the 66 through 69 or the same

Plus you need console in place to moc it up non console shifter needs 1 1/4 cut out of off set or it will rub on plate Brewers will tell you all you need to know

Auto Transport Service
Back