• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4- Speed Conversion ??

OldRunner

Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score
There is a bracket I need to weld on the frame rail on my 68 Coronet. It is for the Z-Bar set up. Is there anyway of knowing exactly where it is welded.? Thanks

I am told it is called the - Clutch Bell Crank Frame Bracket

Thanks

I am faced with the same problem on my conversion. From what i can find in my research is that there is no markings etc. I guess you have to install the assembly then mark where the bracket will go, then weld it in place. I believe there is an access plate in the fenderwell to tighten the z-bar assembly after it's in place.

Z bar bracket welding location

I have converted my 69 b body... On the frame... on the edge, right in front of the z bar service port. you will see a v notch.. it is very clear when you know what to look for. The front corner of the z bar bracket should be right on this v notch. I tack welded the bracket on this notch and installed the bell housing witha core block with the ball stud screwed in to the bell hsg. Yo can then check for proper smooth function of the z bar. I didn,t have to adjust the bracket, the notch is super close for the bracket location. There are pics out on the net that show this notch with the bracket installed. Her is a pic of mine.......

Attachments

• IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,068
The notch is missing on my car due to a frame repair that was performed. Can someone please provide me with the dimensions of the three points of the V notch from the edge of the frame just in front of the V notch? A picture with dimensions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

brkt install

So not that this is any help. And I cant even try to measure through the corrosion but here is some pics i took this morning of my SB 4 spd car and soon to be converted BB 4 spd car.I called Passion and on the new brkt, there is a small tab below the ball stud mt.Set your brkt on the table and it is holding the brkt up from sitting flush. This tab fits down in the same size hole in the frame rail. The hole is rectangular and right below the maintainance access hole.The tab drops in and the brkt sits flush with the rail. Your only other option is to install the motor and bell housing and line it up to weld it. My car doesnot have this hole either,It is all original but it is a convertible, so who knows????

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 933
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 830
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 794
4 speed conversion

So I installed the bell housing then reinstalled the engine. Mounted the z-bar and lined the shaft up straight accross with the ball stud brkt and marked it.
The bolt lines up with the center of the access hole and the weld points are the same as the picture above. The studs have a ball on the end to pivot. Unless you are way out from the pictures it will work. I moved the brkt 1/4 inch either way and it did not affect the function

Auto Transport Service
Back