• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4-speed shift handle

sunger

Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
I am having a 1969 hemi GTX inspected on Monday. The sellers and I have agreed on a price pending the outcome, but I expect it to go well. If I am correct about the inspection results, there is one thing I would like to change, and that's the stock gear shift. Mid-year of 1969 a Hurst 4-speed handle was offered as an option, and I like it much more than the standard round one. I have only seen 1 GTX with this option, and that one had the T handle you lifted in order to shift into reverse. I have been hunting for it but the only ones I have been able to find don't have the T lift. Now I'm wondering if the one I saw was incorrect. Any thoughts as to which way they came, and, if the T lift is correct, any pointers as to where I should look. Thanks.

The Inland Shifter was not available on a 69. They were on 66 through early built 68's. Late 68's and 69's got the Hurst shifter. 70 got the Hurst Pistol Grip shifters.

I am having a 1969 hemi GTX inspected on Monday. The sellers and I have agreed on a price pending the outcome, but I expect it to go well. If I am correct about the inspection results, there is one thing I would like to change, and that's the stock gear shift. Mid-year of 1969 a Hurst 4-speed handle was offered as an option, and I like it much more than the standard round one. I have only seen 1 GTX with this option, and that one had the T handle you lifted in order to shift into reverse. I have been hunting for it but the only ones I have been able to find don't have the T lift. Now I'm wondering if the one I saw was incorrect. Any thoughts as to which way they came, and, if the T lift is correct, any pointers as to where I should look. Thanks.
I'm no expert by any means but my understating is in "68 the RR/GTX came with the Inland shifter handle that had the finger lever to pull up for reverse.
After Feb 15th 1968 (or there about) they changed to the round Hurst shifter handle without any reverse lock out. It was standard and there was no option on shifter handles. I believe the same Hurst shifter handle was used in '69. It wasn't until 70 that it was changed but I'm not absolute about that.

"Jerry beat me to it" slow fingers

T handle on this one, but the pattern is the same, no lift! Build date is 1/10/69

IMG_3105.JPG

And I believe a Hurst issue car would have the dash reverse lamp indicator

I'm no expert by any means but my understating is in "68 the RR/GTX came with the Inland shifter handle that had the finger lever to pull up for reverse.
After Feb 15th 1968 (or there about) they changed to the round Hurst shifter handle without any reverse lock out. It was standard and there was no option on shifter handles. I believe the same Hurst shifter handle was used in '69. It wasn't until 70 that it was changed but I'm not absolute about that.

"Jerry beat me to it" slow fingers
Let me see if I can grab a picture of the one I saw. It looked much better than the standard in my opinion.

Seems as if I remember some of those reverse lockout knobs not working in friends cars ( we were broke kids) Had to park uphill to "roll back" or take a few friends to push...... Things were simpler back then

Seems as if I remember some of those reverse lockout knobs not working in friends cars ( we were broke kids) Had to park uphill to "roll back" or take a few friends to push...... Things were simpler back then
I remember parking on a hill to jump-start. Battery wouldn't hold a charge.

Auto Transport Service
Back