• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40 years ago today . . . I remember it like yesterday . . .

I was baby sitting a broken airplane at Richmond RAAF and we stayed in Penwrith. A couple of us were out and a game was going on in the park, so we watched. We talked to the locals, trying to get a understanding of the game. It just never happened, but was fun to watch for about a hour.
That sounds like a great day out. Much like my introduction to AFL (Aussie Rules) at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground). I knew little about the rules, and the scoring, but the game is so entertaining....mostly for the hijinks of the rough play at times....climbing up each other to grab the ball is awesome entertainment. Looks like a very physical game, and totally different to rugby or league.

Thankfully we had a lot of locals explaining different plays, and the scoring etc. A great day out. :thumbsup:

That sounds like a great day out. Much like my introduction to AFL (Aussie Rules) at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground). I knew little about the rules, and the scoring, but the game is so entertaining....mostly for the hijinks of the rough play at times....climbing up each other to grab the ball is awesome entertainment. Looks like a very physical game, and totally different to rugby or league.

Thankfully we had a lot of locals explaining different plays, and the scoring etc. A great day out. :thumbsup:
Those Aussie football guys are some of the toughest MFers on the planet!! I enjoy watching them play, though we don't get real time games in the States.

I'm still trying to get past the outfits... :lol:
& that Benson & Hedges Cigarettes, was the sponsor...
like our old racing series, all sponsored by Winston Tobacco
I know it was the norm back then but strange to see or hear today

how times have changed

sorry Roger I know nothing about cricket...

sounds like 2 different sets of rules

sort of 'chickenshit',
or unsportsmanlike is what we'd call it here...

Sort of like the 'Tuck Rule' in Football :poke:
Americans know of what I say...
freaken' bias ref's, using obscure rules,
almost never used to that point
claiming a fumble was a forward pass when trying to hold onto a ball
being stripped/fumbled (Raiders DB Charles Woodson)
& Patriots QB Tom Brady got away with not losing a fumble, in the snow
the lame-*** ref's reversed the original call on the field of a fumble...

I remember it like it was yesterday too
It cheapened the league & the integrity of the sport...

it was called some 40 times after that before the rule was eliminated,
some 12-15years later, but it was rarely even "never" ever used prior,
to that game, especially in a Championship playoff game scenario...

it is & always will be chickenshit, "total BS" (or Bullshit)

I understand the feeling as a fan

Last edited:
Back in those days, it was only the Breweries and Tobacco companies that were throwing money around like that.

Very true. You would think they were companies that stole kids lunch money and pushed old ladies in mud puddles.:lol:.

Auto Transport Service
Back