• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

413 question

moparker

Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
I have a chance to get a 413 complete carb to pan with exhaust manifolds for 250.00. I really wanted a 383 so it would look correct in my car. My car is 65 Satelite. The motor turns freely by hand. I gues what I'm asking is are
413's good engines? I know nothing about them. I have never had one or rode in a car with one. Let me know what you think. I'm not going for a high horse motor. I just want a nice reliable cruiser that will lay a nice patch if I so desire.

Yeah, 413s were Great, but 426s were bigger, and the 440 came along a little later and was even bigger. Nothing wrong with 413s at all, just as small version of a RB engine. They are reliable and will lay that occasion patch that you desire.

Are they hard to get parts for or are they more expensive to build?

No, .....not any more expensive than any other B or RB, .....the blocks are getting harder and harder to find but everything else is available.

Thanks man, I apprecate the info. So do you think it's a good buy?

From memory I believe you can bore a 413 out to a 426 and build a wedge out of it.I think everything else is the same inside just a smaller bore

From memory I believe you can bore a 413 out to a 426 and build a wedge out of it.I think everything else is the same inside just a smaller bore

A 413 is a 4.18 inch bore and a 426 is a 4.25 inch bore, ....you would have to cut .070 out to get 426 Cubic Inches. ....That would be a hell of a cut,.... But if the block has a really good core shift,which most all older block do,...... it would work well and hold up. But don't get me wrong , I'm not recommending a .070 overbore, I'm just saying it could work.

they had really thick walls. thats why they were used in bread trucks and fleet vehicles.I,ve heard you can bore them .100. i believe they used the same block but didnt bore 413s as much so they could be rebuilt over and over.

They put 426 street wedges in '65 satellites, I have one, mines a convertible. So it would look period correct for your car. And yes ,413's- they're great motors (375 hp,with stock manifolds). But if your going to do a complete rebuild, find a 440 cu in motor. And you can find any part you would need for a 413, same as a 440. In fact, I believe ALL the parts interchange with each other. But through personel experience, you might want to price pistons, if it needs rebuilt. The 413's pistons are quite a bit more than a 440's,,, comparing cast to cast, and forged to forged, (I could only find cast). So, my advice is this, if doing a complete rebuild, hands down, do the 440 !! If not buy the 413 and freshen it up a little and install it, go out and have some fun with it.........

Last edited:
Cudacollins thanks for the advice. The motor I'm considering is spinning freely so it might not need pistons. I'm still thinking about it. Parker

If this 413 is in good shape,and only needs a freshen up,$250 is not such a bad deal.If it gunna want larger pistons than I would consider a built used 500inch engine.They are plentifull and there are lotsa good deals to be had:edgy:

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

413, yes it's a wedge

Always was always will be. So my 2 pesos. A 413 is as good an engine as any 440 because they are the same design. Performance has to do with how its rebuilt, cam ,etc.
I personally like period correct engines, so a 413/426 in a 65 is correct. The deal with the engine , for cost, is how worn is the cylinder walls. If they have only 5 to 9 thou wear, I'd hone it and put new rings on, and run it. This saves piston expense, boring, and you get a loose enough engine but not a worn out engine. There is way too much emphasis on new pistons and overboring , on rebuilds. How many miles are you going to run in ten years? 10,000 ?? you are not going to wear it out. Horsepower on a 375 engine and cam, OH plenty. Who needs 500 H motors to cruise around. That is ego stuff.

The rest of engine needs attention of course, dress up heads, timing chain ho tank etc.
Dont forget to get a B body pan, that engine like has a C body pan.

One thing I need to point out about the 413 is piston availability - as in it's very limited. I believe you can have any piston you want as long as it's cast with one specific pin height. EGGE Machine might be the only game in town for stock replacement off the shelf stuff and I don't think they are cheap. Of course anyone can make a set of custom forged units but those get pricey. I only know this because I'm trying to resurrect my old 426 wedge and I need pistons and so far found nothing from the typical sources.

Yes, you can usually bore the block .070" to make a STD 426 and I think a lot of people did that back in the day. The early blocks might have more nickel content so they should wear better. Otherwise I will agree with everyone that the 413 is a fine engine and can be built up and treated very much like a 440.

Always was always will be. So my 2 pesos. A 413 is as good an engine as any 440 because they are the same design. Performance has to do with how its rebuilt, cam ,etc.
I personally like period correct engines, so a 413/426 in a 65 is correct. The deal with the engine , for cost, is how worn is the cylinder walls. If they have only 5 to 9 thou wear, I'd hone it and put new rings on, and run it. This saves piston expense, boring, and you get a loose enough engine but not a worn out engine. There is way too much emphasis on new pistons and overboring , on rebuilds. How many miles are you going to run in ten years? 10,000 ?? you are not going to wear it out. Horsepower on a 375 engine and cam, OH plenty. Who needs 500 H motors to cruise around. That is ego stuff.

The rest of engine needs attention of course, dress up heads, timing chain ho tank etc.
Dont forget to get a B body pan, that engine like has a C body pan.

I resemble that EGO remark:yes::grin:

112-1232_IMG.jpg

2009-04-24-1735-00_edited.jpg

2009-04-25-1542-16.jpg

OK MOPARKER, all this is what I said to begin with..........It goes without saying , if it doesn't need bored, rings, and oversized pistons, don't do it. All I said is "IF" the 413 needed rebuilt (*meaning the bore was over specs, for those who can't read between the lines), to consider the cost of pistons, because I personally went through this myself, and had to go with cast, Meep-Meep is correct, no options at the time, had to go with cast. And "IF" it needs rebuilt,,,,find a 440 cu in. DONT care what anyone says, THERES NO SUBSTITUTE FOR CUBIC INCHES. It doesn't cost anymore to bore a 440 than a 413. And performance does depend on the build, no one is disputing that,, but remember, "C-U-B-I-C I-N-C-H-E-S"......part for part, dollar for dollar, build for build, (being the same build on both motors) it's just simple mathematics, the 440 is the better choice. And if you decide on the 440, (if the 413 needs rebuilt), you can always get more power from the 440 down the road if you desire. And there was a artical in Mopar Muscle that stated that the '69 440 block has more nickel content than any other RB block ever manufactured by Mother Mopar...AN (not my findings, theirs) AND OF COURSE - this is all in consideration that the 413 is needing rebuilt. Like I stated in my first post, theres absolutely NOTHING WRONG with a 413, NOTHING !!! And as far as being period correct, thats a matter of taste and opinion, ....... it will never increase the value of the car because it's "period correct", only the # matching and/or correct build date will increase the value of the car, especially if the car was a 318 or /6 car to begin with. And believe me,,, 99.9 % of the people looking at your your car with the hood up won't know the difference whether its a 413, 426, or 440. Hope this clears things up . All Yeah, chignikred it ain't got anything to do with an ego with me, IT'S SIMPLE-----THE MORE HORSES FOR ME, THE MORE FUN I HAVE, SIMPLE AS THAT, NOTHIN ABOUT AN EGO. HONEST.** I would buy the 413 anyway , even if it needs a rebuild or it doesn't, that's a reasonable price for a 413 motor......

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back