• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426. HEMI BALANCER INSTALL QUESTION

BIGWILLIE

Local time
2:06 AM
Reaction score
I HAVE A 68 426 HEMI JUST FINISHED A ROLLER CAM INSTALL I AM TRYING TO INSTALL THE BALANCE CORRECTLY BUT I AM RUNNING INTO A LOCATION PROBLEM

The timing key is about 1/2 inch up on the crankshaft and my balancer fits so tight I have to locate the key and slot on my balancer by eye and I am worrying that I am missing the key slightly and driving the key up on the crank and the balancer is very hard to put on the shaft while cold so it has to be pressed on by using a puller pusher tool.

If anybody has any special method of installing balancer please send me your thoughts please.

I may try to cool the crank nose and heat the balancer and try to slip it on that way may be easier any thoughts?

Thanks for any help

BR

I HAVE A 68 426 HEMI JUST FINISHED A ROLLER CAM INSTALL I AM TRYING TO INSTALL THE BALANCE CORRECTLY BUT I AM RUNNING INTO A LOCATION PROBLEM

The timing key is about 1/2 inch up on the crankshaft and my balancer fits so tight I have to locate the key and slot on my balancer by eye and I am worrying that I am missing the key slightly and driving the key up on the crank and the balancer is very hard to put on the shaft while cold so it has to be pressed on by using a puller pusher tool.

If anybody has any special method of installing balancer please send me your thoughts please.

I may try to cool the crank nose and heat the balancer and try to slip it on that way may be easier any thoughts?

Thanks for any help

BR
Some thoughts: file a slight chamfer on the sides of the balancer to help guide the starting alignment, use some antiseize/extreme pressure grease inside the balancer bore, have a machine shop hone the bore a smidge (check clearances first).
Mike

There should be about a 0.001 interference fit between the two parts. I would take a black sharpie
and blacken the side of the crankshaft where the keyway is. All the way out to the end. Then set a
6" scale next to the keyway and scribe a line on both sides. This will give you a guide. Put just a little
oil or grease on both parts and line it up to the scribe marks. put the borrowed installation tool (Auto Zone)
on the crank and crank her down! Of course, measure everything first! Too much interference is no good,
but a loose balancer is DEATH! The fit is supposed to hold it in place and the keyway is supposed to keep
the balancer from moving off of the timing marks, Keeping TDC at TDC.

Some thoughts: file a slight chamfer on the sides of the balancer to help guide the starting alignment, use some antiseize/extreme pressure grease inside the balancer bore, have a machine shop hone the bore a smidge (check clearances first).
Mike
Thank you for your suggestion I am open to anything I have done a lot of these but this is the first I cannot get to align with the key way

There should be about a 0.001 interference fit between the two parts. I would take a black sharpie
and blacken the side of the crankshaft where the keyway is. All the way out to the end. Then set a
6" scale next to the keyway and scribe a line on both sides. This will give you a guide. Put just a little
oil or grease on both parts and line it up to the scribe marks. put the borrowed installation tool (Auto Zone)
on the crank and crank her down! Of course, measure everything first! Too much interference is no good,
but a loose balancer is DEATH! The fit is supposed to hold it in place and the keyway is supposed to keep
the balancer from moving off of the timing marks, Keeping TDC at TDC.
Good suggestion I think ill try this the next time after I get the balancer off the crank

Auto Transport Service
Back