• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

WH23 is a 2 door hardtop Coronet 500. I am not real familiar with 66 VINS, but I think engine code G is 383 2 bbl and engine code H is 383 4bbl. I am sure others on here know better. BUT, my question is what's up with the VINs with different engine codes but the same sequence number? What is actually on the serial number plate in the car's door jamb?
WP is Coronet 500. WH is Coronet 440.

That’s what I’m trying to figure out, body numbers match, sequence numbers match, everything matches, except the motor code, and the build sheet says 426 WEDGE at the bottom

your motor code matches. G in the VIN, 62 sales code and assembly 180 all indicate a 383-4 bbl.

The only thing that doesn’t match is a vague, unsubstantiated reference to a 426 wedge. Nothing else presented so far supports the car coming with a 426 wedge.

As requested above, what does the VIN plate say?

Did you get sold a "hemi" car and then find these build sheets? What is on the door pillar VIN tag, an H or a G??
can_of_worms.jpg

Isn't WH23H6 a Hemi Coronet 440 for '66?
Where did that VIN info come from?
If the car in question has the provisions for the mounting plate for the starter relay on the driver’s side inner fender than it might be a 426 Hemi car and someone just made a mistake on the notation at the bottom of the build sheet. Chrysler Historical may have some records on ‘66 cars in their files.

Did you get sold a "hemi" car and then find these build sheets? What is on the door pillar VIN tag, an H or a G??
View attachment 1406440
No I was sold a 383 car, then saw the vin said Hemi, and thought it was vin swapped, till I found the build sheets, matched the body numbers, everything was good, just build sheet and fender tag say 383, vin says Hemi, and build sheet says 383 special remark 426 WEDGE

I can save it but not enlarge it.

Some people are having problems viewing images on the site recently probably due to webp. Webp is an image format similar to jpeg but with better compression and file images size. Not every image program or web browser supports webp though. Internet Explorer 11 supposedly doesn't. Most peoples browsers will recognize webp but when you save the image to your computer and can't open it, it's because the image program doesn't support webp. I'm guessing the web admins updated the site to serve webp images to save on bandwitdh costs.

I believe Mr. Norm special ordered a few from the factory, to sell at his dealership. They filled the gap between the 383 and the Hemi.

If the car in question has the provisions for the mounting plate for the starter relay on the driver’s side inner fender than it might be a 426 Hemi car and someone just made a mistake on the notation at the bottom of the build sheet. Chrysler Historical may have some records on ‘66 cars in their files.
Then the broadcast sheet data would indicate a Hemi. It doesn’t.

There is nothing on the BS that indicates the car came with anything other than a 383-4.

No I was sold a 383 car, then saw the vin said Hemi, and thought it was vin swapped, till I found the build sheets, matched the body numbers, everything was good, just build sheet and fender tag say 383, vin says Hemi, and build sheet says 383 special remark 426 WEDGE
Where do you get the VIN says Hemi? And I am repeating my question from before. What is that second paper behind the torn broadcast sheet? Is it a registration? If so, it is not correct. The VINs don't match. It has an H engine code, while the broadcast has a G engine code. What is the VIN number on the actual car? You may be headed for a DMV problem....
Coronet issue edit.jpg

Hemi fender tag for engine would be 73 not 62. Picture of VIN.
Where do you get the VIN says Hemi? And I am repeating my question from before. What is that second paper behind the torn broadcast sheet? Is it a registration? If so, it is not correct. The VINs don't match. It has an H engine code, while the broadcast has a G engine code. You may be headed for a DMV problem....
View attachment 1406480
That is the VIN. That is the same thing it says on the car. That paper there is the registration, the H in the VIN is what says Hemi, it is not a vin swap, if it was, the sequence numbers would not match. It’s not a mistype, the vin does say H for Hemi, I don’t have a picture at the moment.

Where do you get the VIN says Hemi? And I am repeating my question from before. What is that second paper behind the torn broadcast sheet? Is it a registration? If so, it is not correct. The VINs don't match. It has an H engine code, while the broadcast has a G engine code. What is the VIN number on the actual car? You may be headed for a DMV problem....
View attachment 1406480
I came here because I think the factory must’ve made a couple mistakes, the original owner and engine or long gone, lol body numbers and sequence numbers match, nothings been swapped, I’m just trying to find out if I lucked out and got one of very few 426 wedge 66 Coronets, Galen Govier says there’s one to exist and I’ve tried contacting them with no luck, so I’m on a goose chase.

What is the VIN on the "A" pillar plate? That is what the car should be registered by. I know that later, Chrysler noted special engines as "M". Like A-12 option or 440 in A-body

Why many have asked to see the Door VIN tag and probably it's rivets. Even if the factory did a "special order" and stuffed a wedge in after the car was tagged up for a 383 build the VIN should still be 23G. Could be a factory stamping snafu, but many here have their spidy senses peaked to see if someone made it look like a Hemi car and was too dumb to look for sheets and to ditch the fender tag.

That said, it wouldn't be the first VIN tag that has a stamping error and the main thing for title the registration needs to match the factory VIN plate.

That is the VIN. That is the same thing it says on the car. That paper there is the registration, the H in the VIN is what says Hemi, it is not a vin swap, if it was, the sequence numbers would not match. It’s not a mistype, the vin does say H for Hemi, I don’t have a picture at the moment.
Well, if the VIN tag on the car has an H for the 5th digit, then something weird is going on. The broadcast sheet shows as a G. Very interesting.....And the type that says 426 Wedge on the broadcast sheet looks factory. Please post a picture of the actual VIN tag as soon as you can.

Why many have asked to see the Door VIN tag and probably it's rivets. Even if the factory did a "special order" and stuffed a wedge in after the car was tagged up for a 383 build the VIN should still be 23G. Could be a factory stamping snafu, but many here have their spidy senses peaked to see if someone made it look like a Hemi car and was too dumb to look for sheets and to ditch the fender tag.

That said, it wouldn't be the first VIN tag that has a stamping error and the main thing for title the registration needs to match the factory VIN plate.
Reason I’m curious is I wonder if they put an H for 426, not just for Hemi, and when it was rolling down the line filling the build sheet, they seen it wasn’t a Hemi so they put a G code, and special remark 426 wedge. Idk like I said I’m on a goose chase with the original owner being gone and motor being gone.

Reason I’m curious is I wonder if they put an H for 426, not just for Hemi, and when it was rolling down the line filling the build sheet, they seen it wasn’t a Hemi so they put a G code, and special remark 426 wedge. Idk like I said I’m on a goose chase with the original owner being gone and motor being gone.
Sheet was printed BEFORE the car started to be built.

You could fire both VIN #'s, one with the G and one with the H, off to Chrysler Historical and see what build cards they send you back.
buildrequest.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back