• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

Was asked to delete the pictures of the VIN, will repost build sheet, but I thought it could still be seen?
Wonder why a po would possibly ask you to remove a pic of a VIN tag that you legally bought and own now? Has absolutely nothing to do with him, unless he is trying to hide something. All these pieces to the puzzle will help you figure out what you have. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site that should be able to help figure out this unicorn. But they need all the documentation.

Was asked to delete the pictures of the VIN, will repost build sheet, but I thought it could still be seen?

And this is why boards gets so frustrating at times. People spend a lot of time researching info to give credible answers only to find out....'Sorry.'
Listen I ain’t trying to upset anyone, I’m just trying to keep the previous owner happy since they’re a good friend, I’m more than willing to give most of any information that’s asked for to figure some stuff out.

Wonder why a po would possibly ask you to remove a pic of a VIN tag that you legally bought and own now? Has absolutely nothing to do with him, unless he is trying to hide something. All these pieces to the puzzle will help you figure out what you have. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site that should be able to help figure out this unicorn. But they need all the documentation.
Right I get that, I’ll talk to him a little about it, if we can’t agree I’ll probably share it back up anyway, I don’t see what the harm is anyway.

Listen I ain’t trying to upset anyone, I’m just trying to keep the previous owner happy since they’re a good friend, I’m more than willing to give most of any information that’s asked for to figure some stuff out.
If it were me, and he was a good friend, I'd expect a good reason or explanation of why? I think that's what people are alluding to and is only fair of your friend to do for you.

If it were me, and he was a good friend, I'd expect a good reason or explanation of why? I think that's what people are alluding to and is only fair of your friend to do for you.
Okay I talked to him, he didn’t want anyone thinking it’s a Hemi car, he didn’t know what was going on, I’ll repost it in a sec

76216803-B1FC-45E2-A6A0-367433688089.jpeg
9565CCDD-85F1-493F-BBD7-66562F20B32A.jpeg
78C44A57-76EF-40B1-9EE7-9675271E24C8.jpeg

Where were we?

....Oh, yeah- Special order car.....

I presume the guy you bought the car from isn't original owner? You've been straight forward about your questions. Would like to see picture of where rear spring perches bolt on to body. That would put Hemi to bed. MO no boxes no Hemi. MO. Like the H in the VIN theory meaning cubic inches and stamp on BS 426 wedge. Did someone say it was a special order car? or was another car?

View attachment 1407185View attachment 1407186
I presume the guy you bought the car from isn't original owner? You've been straight forward about your questions. Would like to see picture of where rear spring perches bolt on to body. That would put Hemi to bed. MO no boxes no Hemi. MO. Like the H in the VIN theory meaning cubic inches and stamp on BS 426 wedge. Did someone say it was a special order car? or was another car?
I can get pictures of the perches this weekend, I don’t think they’re Hemi but I can’t tell, never seen Hemi ones lol. But you are correct they weren’t the original owner, and yes the car is marked special order on the buildsheet then says special remarks 426 WEDGE

If you wanted to under rear perches you need up through surrounding metal a 4" X 4" (appox)hole with round corners.

Just for curiosity, is there a plate mounted to the drivers side inner fender or holes where one was there at one time? It would be about halfway between the firewall and radiator support. See the circled area of my picture for the plate. The plate, if there is one, would have relays mounted to it.

CCC19DB4-0E04-499B-8F29-BA0D795BFE1E.jpeg

Just for curiosity, is there a plate mounted to the drivers side inner fender or holes where one was there at one time? It would be about halfway between the firewall and radiator support. See the circled area of my picture for the plate. The plate, if there is one, would have relays mounted to it.

View attachment 1407274
I do not believe so.

Just putting this back up front-

This is a mid-year production car, right? November?

If it were a crazy special order 426W, wouldn't it have been a very early car?

Long shot question- does anyone know what engine VIN letter was used on those early 426W C body cars and how their tags and sheets were coded?

Mid year? Back then "Year" production was apparently October on (why October = A, Nov = B.. etc). This car was built in November 1965.

Last edited:
66 models should have been on the lot in Sept of 65, shouldn't they?

66 models should have been on the lot in Sept of 65, shouldn't they?
I would think September was demos and production ramped up in October. My 1 of 53 HP2 was built in December ' 65. I don't know what they did back then, but I've been supplying the automotive industry since 1985 with injection moulded parts. Year change madness was always Mid August to end of September when new parts have to be ready to go and their assembly lines were retooled for the next model year during that 6 week period . In current years "model change" has worked it's way closer to June.

Just putting this back up front-

Long shot question- does anyone know what engine VIN letter was used on those early 426W C body cars and how their tags and sheets were coded?
I wonder if H isn’t just for Hemi and it’s actually for cubic inches. I don’t know. But I do believe the car is an early production car since it was made in 65, but I don’t know when they would’ve been put out on the lots

I wonder if H isn’t just for Hemi and it’s actually for cubic inches. I don’t know. But I do believe the car is an early production car since it was made in 65, but I don’t know when they would’ve been put out on the lots
August 1 is the date they try for.

Auto Transport Service
Back