• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440+6 efi build help

68GTXXX

Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking for build advise. first time ever doing this and my engine guy is a great assembler but he's not a guy that will spec my motor for me. I have a virgin 69 440. I have a brand new stock forged crank and rods. With that being the case id like to keep it stock stroke and bore to allow for potential changes if i want to rebuild in distant future. I have a original 69.5 aluminum six pack intake and were going with the FITech EFI set up. that much I can confirm. I've looked around and I'm struggling to find the specs for almost everything else. We want to run Indy aluminum heads, have the compression around a 10:1/10.5:1, hovering around 500/550 HP. So basically a mid 500s hp 440 six pack with EFI, mild cam, indy heads and have it run on just regular 93 octane. Im probably missing some parts but if anyone has any help itll be greatly appreciated, i also might be stupid for all of this and if so say it, its all helpful.

IMO it'll be tough to get your desired hp with a mild cam. Give Hughes Engines a call and they'll hook you up with what cam you'll need. They are a sponsor for this site. I have a recently built 440 with a bit more specs than you have and I dyno'd at 500hp.

Yeah, I was going to post the same thing. Mild cam means different things to different people.
I’m building a virtually identical engine except with a stroker crank to 511 and a .529 lift cam and my experienced engine builder thinks it might just make 500hp.Torque shouldn’t be a problem, though.

I have installed 3 EFI 6 pack setups thus far, 2 of them are F&B systems and 1 is a Fitech. Unfortunately I have not yet fired the Fitech system so I cannot tell you how it works but I have read that it does not flow all that well. I will say that the F&B system is far superior in pretty much every way, but that doesn't mean the Fitech system won't work. For me the limiting factor with the Fitech is the lack of ability to tune it, you are kind of stuck with what you get or deal with Fitech to obtain the tune you want. With the F&B system you can run whatever engine controller system you like (I chose the Holley HP system on the my Challenger and a FAST EZ 1.0 system on my Cuda). I much prefer the Holley system but I am also using a Dual Sync (Hall effect) distributor so that my ECU controls spark and fuel. This is a MUCH better system especially if you are after optimum HP.

Since most of the F.I. systems are run to get them to learn everything I would break engine in with a Carb and then go to the F.I. system of choice. I had Fitech system on my engine and it took quite a while to get it running.

Auto Transport Service
Back