• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Distributor hold down

TommyBoyGTX

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
On a 1967 Plymouth GTX with a 440 would the distributor hold down be bare metal, painted or plated? Cant seem to find a decent post on that.

Yes, body color. My unrestored 67 GTX 91K miles.
20220713_154140.jpg

Nope, bare steel

How can a dist hold down be engine color and the dist itself be bare ???

I throw yet another one in…. Clear zinc plated, no paint.

You know guys, I can go either way on this. My original 67 GTX is painted engine color but most everything I have seen at shows throughout the years have been clear and unpainted and I restored mine that way too, but have left the engine compartment alone on this GTX, other than a few maintenance items.

Trying to remember,,, back in the day, as I recall, I think they were zinc plated. The engine came down the assembly line and was painted before the dist, cap and wires were installed,,,,, My .01 (inflation)...LK

I will throw this scenario in the mix. Don't know how but I have had a few clamps and distributors with blue overspray but never fully painted. These were off of C-bodies that were low mile originals.

Real day 2 Mopars have the DC chrome one. Along with the water neck. It's the first couple of pieces bought.
As for the question, bare and lightly surface rusted.

Real day 2 Mopars have the DC chrome one. Along with the water neck. It's the first couple of pieces bought.
As for the question, bare and lightly surface rusted.
Bare, all day. Lol, never did buy a chrome one.

Auto Transport Service
Back