• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 engine rear down. Anything worth keeping?

aussiewannabee69

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
I've torn down the 440 to be sent to the machinist as I'm going with a 512 stroker.
It's my first 440 I've torn down so I don't know what worth keeping. Everything looks in pretty good nic but I imagine it's all rum of the mil stock standard type parts. Out of a 72 block.

PXL_20240511_140308096.jpg

PXL_20240511_141524493.jpg

PXL_20240513_024918566.jpg

PXL_20240511_130601705.jpg

PXL_20240511_142548081.jpg

PXL_20240513_024903425.jpg

PXL_20240511_143229384.jpg

PXL_20240511_130607329.jpg

PXL_20240511_140313827.jpg

PXL_20240513_024909083.jpg

The oil pick up was a dog to get out. Is that a standard pick up?
Also the crank has a 69 stamped on it. Is that. Date stamp?

PXL_20240514_031312148.jpg

PXL_20240514_031307003.jpg

PXL_20240514_031318638.jpg

PXL_20240514_031324446.jpg

PXL_20240513_030708870.jpg

PXL_20240514_031330192.jpg

PXL_20240514_031333586.jpg

PXL_20240514_031240319.jpg

PXL_20240514_031254404.jpg

PXL_20240514_031249860.jpg

Not a stock oil pickup, idb. Someone will buy that steel crank.

In a word, everything. I've thrown away a ton of that stuff and now I'm needing it all the time. Really, keep everything. Everything. And don't clean it up. That will only let it rust.

I keep everything... LOL... Yes, I have a pile of old parts, but they sit quietly on the shelf and out of the way.

What other new parts are you putting in with the stroker?

Since you live on an island, keep all of the stock parts, someone would be interested I'm sure.
Going with a stroker, the windage tray may have clearance issues but the rest of the tin can be re-used if your going for the "it's stock" look. Obviously you need to keep and re-use all the front accessory components/brackets. All other wear items will/should be replaced since your going all out with a stroker. Good luck with your build :thumbsup:

I keep everything... LOL... Yes, I have a pile of old parts, but they sit quietly on the shelf and out of the way.

What other new parts are you putting in with the stroker?
Trickflow 240s hyd roller
Thinking of Harland Sharp 1.5s for the rocker gear
Spoke to Mike at 440 source today. Very helpful fella.
New water pump and housing
Oil pump
Pretty much everything.

Since you live on an island, keep all of the stock parts, someone would be interested I'm sure.
Going with a stroker, the windage tray may have clearance issues but the rest of the tin can be re-used if your going for the "it's stock" look. Obviously you need to keep and re-use all the front accessory components/brackets. All other wear items will/should be replaced since your going all out with a stroker. Good luck with your build :thumbsup:
Yeah good point. An island far away from the motherland of parts. Na don't really need the stock look. The only thing stock on this car is the rust.

Heck yeh, keep everything.
Bag and tag.
It's not out of hand unless the kids call a TV show to come over.

Don't throw any of it away. If you don't want it, offer it up for sale at reasonable price, to somebody who needs it.

I have a '72 HP block that all of that would fit right into. Hopefully somebody nearer to you can use it. That is some good stuff, mainly the crank, balancer and the windage tray, the cam may be a good one too. All that stuff is getting harder to find. To me there is nothing like original and vintage stuff. Back to the '70s...

Keep everything. Is 440 parts and pieces plentiful or hard to find in Australia?

Why is it people who are on their first 440 always need 500 cubes and a roller cam for the street?

You should keep all of the exterior stuff since you'll either need it or someone else will. Distributor hold down, tin, PS pump and bracket, etc. You'll obviously need the main caps and the main seal holder and stuff like that. Keep the oil pickup with the oil pan if you aren't going to reuse them. The windage tray can be used if it isn't busted. The worn out parts like the bearings, timing chain, etc can be tossed unless you like to keep junk around for some reason.

Trickflow 240s hyd roller
Thinking of Harland Sharp 1.5s for the rocker gear
Spoke to Mike at 440 source today. Very helpful fella.
New water pump and housing
Oil pump
Pretty much everything.
Sweet. Not sure how hot you want this animal, but I did pretty much the same thing and wish I would have done it slightly differently... TF 270's as opposed to the 240's and 1.6 rockers, as opposed to the 1.5.

Just sharing.

Good luck! It's going to go great! You'll have a blast building it.

toss the timing chain and the rubber......... keep the rest if you can...... things I set aside as junk years ago is now valuable....... gimme a good used part any day compared to the junk being produced today

;for example, I have a 383 under my bench........ I plan on harvesting the fuel pump push rod;, if it doesn't measure to spec, I'll be on the hunt for another original one

I have a '72 HP block that all of that would fit right into. Hopefully somebody nearer to you can use it. That is some good stuff, mainly the crank, balancer and the windage tray, the cam may be a good one too. All that stuff is getting harder to find. To me there is nothing like original and vintage stuff. Back to the '70s...
Nice!
Yeah not too many Moparians in my neck of the woods. Mainly Aussie muscle and Camaros and mustangs.
Did they have steel cranks in 72?
I do like original for the right application, but this one has nothing original left on it.
Maybe I will keep it for a future build... Most likely never happen, won't be aloud to drive petrol cars by then!

Keep everything. Is 440 parts and pieces plentiful or hard to find in Australia?

Why is it people who are on their first 440 always need 500 cubes and a roller cam for the street?
It's not super rare but not super easy like you guys have it.

My question is why not?

You should keep all of the exterior stuff since you'll either need it or someone else will. Distributor hold down, tin, PS pump and bracket, etc. You'll obviously need the main caps and the main seal holder and stuff like that. Keep the oil pickup with the oil pan if you aren't going to reuse them. The windage tray can be used if it isn't busted. The worn out parts like the bearings, timing chain, etc can be tossed unless you like to keep junk around for some reason.
I'm going with billet caps.
I only want to build this once and I worry too much about an old part letting go inside. So for me it's buy once, cry once.
The pan has a big dent in the front section unfortunately.
It didn't look like it has much wear inside from what I seen. The person I bought it off couldn't tell me anything about it except that it had a cam in it. Not what type of cam, just a cam haha.

I wouldn't put billet caps on it if your existing caps are in good shape. Take a close look at the main bearings, if they look good then you don't need to change caps. Have the shop put ARP main studs in it and then hone the main bore and you should be good to go. We build a lot of 505 strokers that make 600+ hp and never put billet caps on them. Are you going to use a Trick Flow top end? A 505 with TF heads, intake and hyd roller cam is a great combo. Usually makes a little more than 600 hp and runs great on the street.

I wouldn't put billet caps on it if your existing caps are in good shape. Take a close look at the main bearings, if they look good then you don't need to change caps. Have the shop put ARP main studs in it and then hone the main bore and you should be good to go. We build a lot of 505 strokers that make 600+ hp and never put billet caps on them. Are you going to use a Trick Flow top end? A 505 with TF heads, intake and hyd roller cam is a great combo. Usually makes a little more than 600 hp and runs great on the street.
Ok no worries. Do you think the caps are overkill?
Definitely getting the studs.
Yeah TF240. I want more get up and go then anything so I think they would be a better choice then the 270s?
I'm running a 6 pack intake to so hopefully this set up goes well with it. Need to find a cam that matches the 6 pack

Auto Transport Service
Back