• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 motor mount brocken

patp

Reaction score
440 motor mount broken

putting this engine in my 1969 charger. One engine mount is broke and I need know best way to proceed. Engine strap or repair. image3.jpgimage1 (4).jpgimage6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I mean broken... Also does the casting number tell me anything other than the date?

Last edited:
Dang, that's a tough one. If it's stock'ish run it as is. If it has any performance upgrades & you don't mind a non-stock look, chain that sucker down on the driver's side. If it's some kind of blown/nitrous stroker.... sorry, but put in elephant ear motor mounts or find a new block. My 2-cents.

440 + 6, but not overly built and no racing just a driver that looks good when the hood is open.

That can be repaired by a competent welder just need some cast iron to make the missing piece. I would leave as is and run the crap out of it but that's just me. Who knows how long it was ran that way in the past it wouldn't be the first one to be ran like that.

I believe nickel rod is used to repair cast iron. I agree a good welder could fix it fairly easily. The casting date tells you nothing other than what motor it is and the date. There should be a full or partial Vin code in the right side oil pan rail towards the front. Also the flat pad in front where the valley pan attaches has some stamped codes in it that will tell you info such as undersize tappets or bearings and things like that.

run it and dont worry about it if its a street car. My 512 is just like that. It's a street strip car. Runs high 10's. No issues. I do run solid mounts so its no going any where.

Then buy a j strap to stabilize the motor. Only $80 from Shumacher. Best $80 I've spent as I was breaking motor mounts all the time.

Shumacher torque strap is a good piece of work and good money spent. Should have one anyway regardless of break in my opinion. It will also better the attitude of your hole shot.

Back