• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 oil dipstick tube hole

1968RRTEXAS

Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
Hello mopar family,

I am in the final stages of assembly of my 440, its a 1978 out of motor home and I hit a roadblock. I ordered a dipsticktube and dipstick from summit and I couldnt find the hole it went in. After research I found that the hole should be right behind the driver side engine mount. Look what I found! Any ideas what is going on here. I thought maybe it was a plug, so i hit with a chisel and some metal broke off. SUGGESTIONS?
IMG_6682.jpgIMG_6683.jpg

Take the pan of and try to punch it out of there. Use a torch and heat the block around the plug might be a good idea too.

I just read something that said the same thing. Time to take the pan back off again lol. Thanks for the response

That plug is aluminum and will easily pop out from the back (underside). Never needed a torch, just a hammer and punch. I have a truck block and that is how they are as the dipstick goes into the oil pan itself on 72-up trucks. I don't know how hard the plugs are to get so you may see if someone needs it. I have reused the one I have numerous times (had a big block 72 D100).
-Matt

Yall were right. Came right out with a punch. Thanks mopar family.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 628
The first thing I do is drill the tube hole oversize by a few thousandths (to late now). A little RTV and the tube will slide right in. No leaks no hassle.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back