• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Pulley Alignment

micmoe

Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
Here is another twister for you guys. My 66 came with a 318 but the owner i got it from had put a 440 in it. I recently had to replace the water pump and found someone had used nuts between the pulley and the pump as shims. In the process I changed the Power steering pump to a Saginaw because I thought it would correct the belt alignment and improve steering. I look like the Guy who did the engine swap used the parts from the 318. The 440 is a 1970 block and has a 4 grove crank pulley. We will have to rebuild in the near future so a serpentine system will be going on. S5757s hope your pulley at least works for you. Keeping the belt on this thing will be a problem, any suggestion will be appreciated.

DSCN0114.JPG DSCN0121.JPG DSCN0125.JPG

It will disappointing for you to hear but Ma Mopar made a BUNCH of different pulleys, all with different diameters, groove numbers, groove depths, and offset. The Poly A engine, the LA, Magnum, B and R/B all had different combinations, THEN add in A/C or NON A/C. Then there were some changes in 1969 for the big block and then in 1970 for the LA engines. Oh boy...
The NON A/C cars with Power steering used a 2 groove crank pulley with the P/S belt being on the outer groove of the crank pulley. The alternator & fan belt ride on the inner.
If at all possible, look at a factory setup in an unmolested car. This is my 440 with NO A/C.
Pulley 5.jpg

Note the deep water pump pulley.

Pulley 4.jpg

The picture Kern Dog posted shows the water pump pulley you need for sure. The alternator needs to run on the inner groove. Right now if you removed the alternator belt would the power steering pump align in the crank groove previously running the alternator? If so you may just need the correct water pump pulley.

You cannot use a Large single groove WP pulley with a 4 groove crank pulley, they will touch each other, diameters are wrong, they don’t go together.

Get pullies like kerndog shows, then it will fit. Looks like PS is on the right spot to line up to these pullies also.

Some of the problem stems from that flex fan and the pulley which is extended to make up for the lack of a fan clutch. Does anyone really still use those flex fans?

Thanks a bunch to all you Guys, this info is a big help.
I did mention I had to shim the Water Pump pulley to keep it from binding on the pump housing. I'll try the crank pulley swap and see what haps.

My 67 440 crank pulley was about 3/16" shorter than what I believe the 68 up cars had.. Good luck, I spent alot of time getting my car correct....

I noticed on Kern Dog's WP pulley it looks larger in Diameter than mine which is 6" in dia. This may also contribute to my issue. We'll see.

I noticed on Kern Dog's WP pulley it looks larger in Diameter than mine which is 6" in dia. This may also contribute to my issue. We'll see.
I made reference to the pulleys you should require and belt position.

Some of the problem stems from that flex fan and the pulley which is extended to make up for the lack of a fan clutch.

That's what happens when you do meatball, half-*** surgery with the wrong or missing parts!!!

Does anyone really still use those flex fans?

Hell yeah I do! My car came with one from the factory and still works great after 56 years. "If it ain't broke, why **** with it?"

That's what happens when you do meatball, half-*** surgery with the wrong or missing parts!!!

Hell yeah I do! My car came with one from the factory and still works great after 56 years. "If it ain't broke, why **** with it?"
I hate the way they sound. Always have personal annoyance.

I agree 69a100, but that comes with barn finds and abandon cars. This is the fun part of working on old cars, getting them right! Thanks to all for the info, I've already ordered parts to correct the issue. MoFun - MoPar

Just had to buy the deeper water pump pully to put my classic air in the car. Also had to get a two grove pully for the crank. Because I had the four grove pully their and classic said it would not work with the pully they sent me. Some time's it goes on and on don't it. I would get the proper spacer and do away with those nut's for spacers. That is not a good idea. I don't like using washers for spacers would rathe cut a pipe nipple for a spacer. More solid.

Thanks again to all you guys but mostly to pnora and snakeoil24, the pulley was spot on and shimming the SP aligned it.

DSCN0127.JPG DSCN0128.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back