• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 pump wont flow

midnightcharger

Local time
2:38 AM
Reaction score
rebuilt 440 new oil pump,primed pumps out of car but wont pump up into block..remove oil filter 0r even loosen pumps fine ..tried 2nd mopar filter,still wont pump to block??????gettin pissed of any help or ideas?????:

I had to loosen the filter on this fresh 440 i have to get it to prime.Kinda messy but it worked for me.

when you primed the pump which way did you turn it? I believe it turns counter clockwise. You can open up a cap on your valve cover and you should be able to see oil spouting around in there while your priming. If not you may have a blocked oil passage.

you need to prime the pump inside the block. counterclock wise with a long hex head rod through the distributor hole. remove the distributor drive gear with a screwdriver and put the rod on a nice drill and start it up till it feels like its getting tight. then you'll have it primed.

welcome to the FBBO forum ,Just wondering if you had enough clearance between the bottom of the pan & oil pump pick-up, The pumps are pretty simple if installed correctly they will work well.

Yeah, I'd check the rotation. Otherwise does it have an oil pressure relief spring and valve?

Auto Transport Service
Back